Thread: rubbed cap tube

rubbed cap tube

a cap tube for a mclean unit was out of gas capped tube rubbed on suction line. the hole is to big to solder and repair the solder will clogg the cap tube! can i use a 1/4 inch pipe as coupling? whats the best repair. i wish i can cut it then swage the pipe

Best option is to replace the whole cap tube.

You could cut the cap tube, put in a piece of 1/4" copper tube thats a couple inches long, and pinch the 1/4" tube to each end of the cap tube and braze. I've never done that though.

Replace the cap tube. If it were a pressure control, I'd say go ahead and repair it
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

It's recommended to install a new entire cap tube provided by the Manufacture. The diameter and total developed length need to be taken into consideration so that the proper restriction and flow can be obtained.

Sure for an emergency it would be ok to make a temporary repair as Mike19 indicated.
    Last edited by alcomech; 04-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.

Posted twice, sorry. How do I remove an unwanted Post?
    But I am still learning and looking for a new mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Replace the cap tube. If it were a pressure control, I'd say go ahead and repair it
    thats what ima do order a new cap tube instead of tinkering with it and being a waste of time. i agree if it was a pressure sensing pipe such as to a pressure control then the type of pipe wont matter much. thanks for all the replies saved me the headache

I've done what mike recommended with great results..

I've repaired with 1/4", with no issues, in the past. I will still do it as a temporary fix while waiting for new cap tube but I won't leave it any more. There are some out there though that have been running that way for years. Best to replace for sure.