Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iinstalled complete duct system with Ductboard and FLex- Homeowner is allergic

I been in florida for a while and never ran into this.
    The duct system we remove was metal with wrap insulation. Not for any reason but original install 25+ yrs ago.
    Looking for some options.

I know Metal and wrap is one.
    Any type of other ductboard outhere.

looking are redoing the Mixing boxs and pleniums(12')

Thanks

Why on earth would you remove ductwork "not for any reason" that is working fine?

The old stuff was leaking and not in good shape Plus resized for the new system
    I think its more of the off gas'ng.
    I am researching some Non-Formaldehyde type ductboard.

ductboard is a ****ty way to go. Step up to the plate & install metal with insulation on the outside

You said the duct you removed was metal with wrap, I understand if its undersized for the new unit, but ductboard is poopy, never use the stuff. Just wait 20-30 years from now fiberglass will be treated the same way we treat asbestos now.

Try KoolDock. It's cheaper than metal duct installed and last as long or longer (rigid but won't rust). Fabricated right there in Jacksonville. FL by A-Kool Distributing Co. Comparable to metal duct but a lot easier to install and not in the same ball park as crappy duct board. Has less leakage than metal ducts and the phenolic foam board is faced on both sides with reinforced foil. It is not cheap like duct board but IMO better than metal duct especially in high humidity, high temperature areas like Florida.

"The Kingspan KoolDuct® ODP rigid KoolTherm insulation panels have a greater than 90% closed cell structure which means they are highly resistant to moisture penetration and are also nonwicking. The Kingspan KoolDuct® System is suitable for use in peak temperatures as high as 80°C and continuous operating temperatures up to 70°C. The thermal conductivity of KoolDuct® panels is 0.021 W/m.K at 10°C (mean) the lowest of any commonly available zero ODP insulation material, which allows the thinnest possible insulation to achieve the required thermal performance.

It can be installed in very high temperature and relative humidity-ambient operating conditions.and can be installed in residential, commercial and industrial applications."

http://www.akool.us/#
    Last edited by glennac; 03-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

to the best of my knowledge there is no any plastic duct material which is officially approved as adequate for supply ductwork.

there are few manufacturers which presented their investigation, and some board whether in ashrae or some other institution acknowledged it, but all such materials are still in vacuum - they are neither approved nor banned.

that is some kind of absurd as inhalation poses more direct threat to health than digestion, and all plastic piping used for domestic water supply has to be certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazen View Post
    to the best of my knowledge there is no any plastic duct material which is officially approved as adequate for supply ductwork.

there are few manufacturers which presented their investigation, and some board whether in ashrae or some other institution acknowledged it, but all such materials are still in vacuum - they are neither approved nor banned.

that is some kind of absurd as inhalation poses more direct threat to health than digestion, and all plastic piping used for domestic water supply has to be certified.
    Never heard of any approved plastic duct? How about approved flex duct but I've never heard of any other plastic duct under investigation for approval or otherwise. Curious as to what you are refering to. Please elaborate. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Manual D shows a few different plastic type duct materials..
    Plastic-coated steel
    Plastic Polyvinyl Chloride PVC
    Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

I remember using plastic pipe in under slab duct systems.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Manual D shows a few different plastic type duct materials..
    Plastic-coated steel
    Plastic Polyvinyl Chloride PVC
    Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

I remember using plastic pipe in under slab duct systems.
    PVC metal spiral would be the way to go and should be readily available.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Try KoolDock. It's cheaper than metal duct installed and last as long or longer (rigid but won't rust). Fabricated right there in Jacksonville. FL by A-Kool Distributing Co. Comparable to metal duct but a lot easier to install and not in the same ball park as crappy duct board. Has less leakage than metal ducts and the phenolic foam board is faced on both sides with reinforced foil. It is not cheap like duct board but IMO better than metal duct especially in high humidity, high temperature areas like Florida.

"The Kingspan KoolDuct® ODP rigid KoolTherm insulation panels have a greater than 90% closed cell structure which means they are highly resistant to moisture penetration and are also nonwicking. The Kingspan KoolDuct® System is suitable for use in peak temperatures as high as 80°C and continuous operating temperatures up to 70°C. The thermal conductivity of KoolDuct® panels is 0.021 W/m.K at 10°C (mean) the lowest of any commonly available zero ODP insulation material, which allows the thinnest possible insulation to achieve the required thermal performance.

It can be installed in very high temperature and relative humidity-ambient operating conditions.and can be installed in residential, commercial and industrial applications."

http://www.akool.us/#
    here more info...here http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk/...iterature.aspx

For me nothing beats metal duct when installed correctly. I think we are loosing good tin knockers as the old timers fade away. But this product is a step up from duct board. it adds a few more bells a whistles but proper installation is critical, same as if using duct board.

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    You said the duct you removed was metal with wrap, I understand if its undersized for the new unit, but ductboard is poopy, never use the stuff. Just wait 20-30 years from now fiberglass will be treated the same way we treat asbestos now.
    Whoa say what?: Do you have a crystal ball?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

No crystal ball, just a student of history. At one time there was a x-ray machine in shoe stores so you could see how well your shoes fit, and how about radioactive suppositorys to restore male vigor. Asbestos was safe and in common use in just about every home, and not to long ago either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast