Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FYI, just to have some closure on this thread.

I went with the Trane system with the following specs:

HeatPump: 4TWR6060A1000A
    Air Handler: TAM7B0C60H51?A
    Thermostat: TCONT802A$32DA

System was installed yesterday. Had an additional filter grill installed to give it more intake air (builder should have done that to begin with).

I had a bit of a challenge with the Trane/Honeywell thermostat. Was really thinking of the NEST. Who knows what I'll do with that.

I was told that since we only had #6 wire at the air handler they had to reduce the 15KW down to 10KW on the heat strip.

Take care
    HPH

Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpHeck View Post
    FYI, just to have some closure on this thread.

I went with the Trane system with the following specs:

HeatPump: 4TWR6060A1000A
    Air Handler: TAM7B0C60H51?A
    Thermostat: TCONT802A$32DA

System was installed yesterday. Had an additional filter grill installed to give it more intake air (builder should have done that to begin with).

I had a bit of a challenge with the Trane/Honeywell thermostat. Was really thinking of the NEST. Who knows what I'll do with that.

I was told that since we only had #6 wire at the air handler they had to reduce the 15KW down to 10KW on the heat strip.

Take care
    HPH

I would ask your installing company about a 803 t-stat instead of 802. 803 has humdity control option built into the set up and will read humdity.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!!!

This is not my first rodeo just a different bull!!!

I work hard but play even harder!!!

Thanks but I suspect since it is already installed that is no longer an option.
    Is it just the thermostat that senses humidity or does it get info from the rest of the system?
    I would assume the price difference is why that wasn't installed in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpHeck View Post
    Thanks but I suspect since it is already installed that is no longer an option.
    Is it just the thermostat that senses humidity or does it get info from the rest of the system?
    I would assume the price difference is why that wasn't installed in the first place.
    It would be just the t-stat that would read humdity. The 803 t-stat would be that much more just a few $. The way this t-stat works is by overcooling the home for humdity control. While this feature is not a must have but would be slightly better with the 802 t-stat it would just the ablity to control humdity at the t-stat with settings to lower the indoor fan speed to 50% of rating cfm for the system. The way it would work would be if wired up right. The temp in the house is meet but the humdity is not. The system would lower the inside the fan motor to 50% and keep the outdoor unit on until the humdity level is reached,

While this not the best method. It still
    Offers control over humdity compaired to not having this control for humdity. It's not to late just call your installing company and ask about this simple upgrade and can pay the differance. This is compaired to the 802 t-stat in which their is no humdity control.

I just hate to see a variable speed unit that does not control humdity levels other then the comfort r mode with the Trane systems. Meaning the variable speed will come on (inside air handler or furnace) run at 50% fan speed for the 1st min, then goes to 80% of fan speed and if t-stat senses that 80% is not what is needed then swtichs to 100% for the time frame of the the system running. The great thing about variable speed is when that temp is meet the unit does not just shut down like a basic air handler or furance but reverses this from
    100% to 80 % , then to 50% and then off this helps with noise control, humdity control and letting the system help with hot and cool spots as their is still good cold air in the ductwork, and at the coil. Instead of shuting down the system like basic the unit runs in reverse till the system cycles off.

I agree the 803 would have been my pick for this system. A good thermostat that as stated can overcool to control to a humidity setpoint.

Hey duckman... never heard of an 803 dropping blower speed to 50% nominal cooling speed to dehumidify. As far as I know it can't be wired to do dehumidify on demand? Unless it's been changed to function like Honeywell's newer revision of the TH8321 which can. Can you explain a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I agree the 803 would have been my pick for this system. A good thermostat that as stated can overcool to control to a humidity setpoint.

Hey duckman... never heard of an 803 dropping blower speed to 50% nominal cooling speed to dehumidify. As far as I know it can't be wired to do dehumidify on demand? Unless it's been changed to function like Honeywell's newer revision of the TH8321 which can. Can you explain a bit more?
    I am sorry was typing faster then I was thinking. If wired right and set up the fan will can made to use 50% of air speed when fan is just on. On my 4TEE model air handler I have it wired some how (can't remember it's been a while since I installed mine or wired one up) to where when the units runs its normal cycle with comfort r mode then reachs set point unit reverse the cycle back down till off.

I am not a 100% sure but I do belive that if humdity is not wear it is suppose to be t-stat calls for blower to come on with outdoor unit but only has fan on at 50% like circulate or fan on is selected. The 803 doesn't control the fan speed the dip switches and or wiring does I do believe.

Sorry for the confusion and I could be wrong for two reasons I offen demo multpy t-stats in my home in which one might have done this compaired to others not and just thought the all did? 2nd reason is because my system is sized propely it very rarley above or below 50% in my house will cooling.

Good catch I would have to go into the wiring of my unit and look or look at air handler wiring. So lets just say I am wrong and the 803 just over cools the unit but the unit has been off or the humdity is not reached so the t-stat turns on the blower in which comfort r starts 50,80 then 100% fan speed. What might be happening with systems is they only get 50-80% comfort r mode ramp up profile and humdity level is reached then system cycles off. So it might just sound like only 50% of fan speed is on if the above is happening.

Note: for years since my system has been installed again I have used many diffrent t-stats and wiring set ups to just see what my system could be made to do. I even had Trane senior service tech at my house once and we played around with settings and wiring (well he did) just trying some things for the only reason of seeing what the unit can be made to do or not do. I always try stuff like this on my system never a customers.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    I am sorry was typing faster then I was thinking. If wired right and set up the fan will can made to use 50% of air speed when fan is just on. On my 4TEE model air handler I have it wired some how (can't remember it's been a while since I installed mine or wired one up) to where when the units runs its normal cycle with comfort r mode then reachs set point unit reverse the cycle back down till off.

I am not a 100% sure but I do belive that if humdity is not wear it is suppose to be t-stat calls for blower to come on with outdoor unit but only has fan on at 50% like circulate or fan on is selected. The 803 doesn't control the fan speed the dip switches and or wiring does I do believe.

Sorry for the confusion and I could be wrong for two reasons I offen demo multpy t-stats in my home in which one might have done this compaired to others not and just thought the all did? 2nd reason is because my system is sized propely it very rarley above or below 50% in my house will cooling.

Good catch I would have to go into the wiring of my unit and look or look at air handler wiring. So lets just say I am wrong and the 803 just over cools the unit but the unit has been off or the humdity is not reached so the t-stat turns on the blower in which comfort r starts 50,80 then 100% fan speed. What might be happening with systems is they only get 50-80% comfort r mode ramp up profile and humdity level is reached then system cycles off. So it might just sound like only 50% of fan speed is on if the above is happening.

Note: for years since my system has been installed again I have used many diffrent t-stats and wiring set ups to just see what my system could be made to do. I even had Trane senior service tech at my house once and we played around with settings and wiring (well he did) just trying some things for the only reason of seeing what the unit can be made to do or not do. I always try stuff like this on my system never a customers.
    Definitely understandable. The fact that you demo various products and test them to understand their function speaks toward your effort to be current and knowledgeable about Trane products. But like you concluded I do think the 803 just calls for compressor when humidity is too high, and Comfort-R is a completely separate function, which should definitely be enabled in this case for best results (start out at lower fan speed and only reach 100% if necessary). I know of good dealers that don't always quote the 803 unless asked (802 instead), and there are some valid reasons/arguments I can think of (could always manually adjust temp, customer might obsess over humidity, keep it simple as the function may never get used). But as I said in my opinion, the 803 is a great fit for this particular system and the one I would have installed.

To the original poster I think you made a wise choice and investment in this system and I hope you are liking it so far. It's a great system when installed and set up properly. Keep the 803 in mind -- they may be more willing than you think to replace it (perhaps for a small difference), as I believe the sub-base and wiring can remain intact. They would just need to swap out and reprogram the thermostat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Definitely understandable. The fact that you demo various products and test them to understand their function speaks toward your effort to be current and knowledgeable about Trane products. But like you concluded I do think the 803 just calls for compressor when humidity is too high, and Comfort-R is a completely separate function, which should definitely be enabled in this case for best results (start out at lower fan speed and only reach 100% if necessary). I know of good dealers that don't always quote the 803 unless asked (802 instead), and there are some valid reasons/arguments I can think of (could always manually adjust temp, customer might obsess over humidity, keep it simple as the function may never get used). But as I said in my opinion, the 803 is a great fit for this particular system and the one I would have installed.

To the original poster I think you made a wise choice and investment in this system and I hope you are liking it so far. It's a great system when installed and set up properly. Keep the 803 in mind -- they may be more willing than you think to replace it (perhaps for a small difference), as I believe the sub-base and wiring can remain intact. They would just need to swap out and reprogram the thermostat itself.
    Ryan is correct the same base can be used with the 803 just needs to be set up for your system and humdity. Control turned on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12