Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: r22 conversions

The low temp system can as they have removed 1/3 of the equipment in the store.

What about MO99? Anyone have any insight of this being a better replacement? what are the pros and cons?
    ®

North sweden, Umeå, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
    Guys,

has anyone used BMP 438 to replace R-22 in any racks? We have a customer here who's considering it. Aside from the 20% loss in capacity are there any other draw backs?
    Ummm. I would do it the correct way... Oil change, seal change, txv change, then put 404A or 507 if low or mid, aircon apps 407C, and a tune-in. Ok some dollar extra now, but it's totally worth it in the end.

We want to. Trying to convince the customer is another thing.

Jp, I was just asking cause the ones I have been involved with, a total of 3 in my career, not many, 1 in TX, 2 in MI, we did change them.

Its gotta depend on the valve manufacturer. Gotta. I dunno. Curious now. I wanna know why.

I will be finding out this next week.

North sweden, Umeå, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Well...

Let me put it in this way... A friend of mine was called to a boat, where the system (R22) was leaking like a schweizer cheese. Well anyway. System was empty when he came there. Fixed all leaks, pulled vacuum, and filled'er up with 417A. T'was no success... Freezers didn't hold more than -10degC/14degF, refrigerators was around 13degC/55degF

Why he filled with 417A? In sweden weren't allowed to fill CFC (stop by year 2000) or HCFC (stop by 2004)

Oh... 417A has 30% loss compared to R22

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    We are going through 2 store conversions right now. R-22 MT/LT Racks to R-407F

Leak check & fix existing leaks

change oil, AB to POE, it took 2 changes to get well into the POE range with a refractometer reading ( http://www.nucalgon.com/products/oils/oil-refractometer )

next up, recover the R-22, replace all high side ball valves vapor/liquid lines (per customer), replace gaskets, change filter driers liquid/suction/oil...add new R-407F.

tweak all valve, pressure control, & EMS settings.

Leak check

It's a 2-3 day deal
    Are you changing every BV in the whole store? Doing a rebuild for each EPR valve as well? What about other valves? Sounds like a cool project to be on!

I am having very good results with R-417A also known as DuPont MO-59. It can be topped off in an R-22 system and requires no special oil.
    I have a white paper duscussing these attributes which prompted me to try it out.
    My test machines are golden and the price is decent through Airgas Refrigerants.

MO-99 may be something that is being orchestrated in new systems from high political levels, but my experience with it is not positive. If you carefully read the documentation, it says
    [paraphrased] ......do NOT liquid charge the compressor, permanent irreversible damage will occur.
    MO-99 does not seem to get along well with any oil, and it will definitely wash the oil right out of the compressor during tightly controlled liquid charging.
    Its not impressing me.

Sincerely

Quote Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
    I am having very good results with R-417A also known as DuPont MO-59. It can be topped off in an R-22 system and requires no special oil.
    I have a white paper duscussing these attributes which prompted me to try it out.
    My test machines are golden and the price is decent through Airgas Refrigerants.

MO-99 may be something that is being orchestrated in new systems from high political levels, but my experience with it is not positive. If you carefully read the documentation, it says
    [paraphrased] ......do NOT liquid charge the compressor, permanent irreversible damage will occur.
    MO-99 does not seem to get along well with any oil, and it will definitely wash the oil right out of the compressor during tightly controlled liquid charging.
    Its not impressing me.

Sincerely
    Don't they all say no liquid charging at suction?

Liquid Charging

Controlled liquid charging has been done since the dawn of refrigeration time, and it will definitely continue.

Quote Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

Its not impressing me.

Sincerely
    I've only seen MO-99 used once, and my boss made the same comment. The sight glass looked "muddy" and he told me it was oil.

Remember R-12/R-502 compressors ?

Do you remember when compressors were dual-rated for R-12 & R-502 ? <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    We have R507 here, but you don't see much of it except for some supermarket chains. R404A is much more common.

Actually, I've been leaning toward using R404A for R22 medium temp conversions...similar to what you're doing with R507. It reminds me of 20-30 years ago when we had compressors dual rated for either R22 or R502 MT.

R407C for A/C work is pretty good, but MO99 (R438A) is fast becoming the flavor of choice because it's quick and easy, but there's no reason R507 (or R404A) won't work for A/C as well.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Do you remember when compressors were dual-rated for R-12 & R-502 ? <g>

PHM
    ------
    Copeland appears to be heading back to doing that with their new FFAP scroll condensing units which are compatible with R134A, R404A, R22 and R407C:

Copeland FFAP.pdf

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast