HotShot2 Retrofit

I just fixed a Bain Marie. The compressor was trying to start - current relay cycling on then off every few minutes. I used my finger nails to hook on to the 1/4" thick piece of felty sludge that was on the condensor coil and peeled it off in almost one piece, leaving a nice clean condensor coil. (yuk) I turned the unit off and let it cool.

Once I powered it up again, the compressor started and it ran continuously but it wouldn't pull down to temperature and there was ice forming on the liquid line after the capillary tube. So I figured it's under charged but I don't know what refrigerant is in the unit. The refrigerant plate is blank, compressor says R12.

I recovered 3.4ounces of system refrigerant via the access port mounted on the compressor until system pressure was 15" vacuum, performed a pressure test, evacuated, and then put 8 oz. of HotShot2 in the system to obtain 35psi suction pressure with 5degrees superheat. HS2 is supposed to work with mineral oil, AB, or POE so I didn't change oil.

The amount of refrigerant recovered seems real small, and the amount used to charge it to 5degrees superheat seems really small as well. Does this make sense? Granted the unit is small - evaporator measured about 10" by 8", but 8oz makes me think I only got the refrigerant on the low side of the capillary tube.

I'm an AC guy and new to these tiny little systems so I don't know what a typical charge is, and like I said the plate was blank. As of now, the unit is working.

Anyone used HS2 yet? Is it good? Anyone work on these small Bain Marie things? Is my charge screwed up?
    I'll be done in just a few minutes...

Charge until frost line at compressor then back off a bit.

Needs to be down to temp.

Sounds to me like you have a restriction-Thats why the compressor would not start-It had not unloaded-The ice on the liquid line at the cap tube is a clue. Normally there is a dryer just ahead of the cap tube-Change it, cut 2-3 in off of cap tube, evacuate and recharge.

this a freezer ? if so 5 Deg SH oughtta do it

if its a cooler you need 10 deg SH

Would have recovered, changed drier, evacuated to 500 microns, charged with 409a to name plate (probably on left inside cooler) if no nameplate charge to 10F superheat. If there was a restriction in the capillary super heat would be VERY high and suction very low. You probably put in 10-16ozs of refrigerant.

To re-iterate I doubt there is a restriction!
    Check condenserand evap coil again
    if you have 10F super heat you WILL pull down.

I've used hs2 a few times, but its been a year or so, it worked fine, I don't think you charge to 100 percent though, call manufacturer and see if they can help you with the data plate charge, then start at about 85 %, its easier to add than to recover, but change your drier first

Thanks all. Drier..... (head slap) I shoulda woulda coulda....

ICOR has great tech support...

http://www.icorinternational.com/tech2tech.html

Thanks for the link, great info!