Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat Pump Aux heat question....

Had a customer call in with excessivly high electric bills.....I checked charge, coils, defrost operation and sensor, tstat and Electric heater banks.....

Only thing I found was one element on 10k was open leaving 5k to do the job....

My boss thinks "being short 5 kw would make the bill cheaper" just making the h/p outdoor unit run more which is more efficent....

I argued that it would be constantly loosing ground from defrost cycles ect and running the 5kw almost all the time compared to recovering quickly with 10k....

What would be your thoughts?

I agree with U !!
    except for the losing ground part ?
    Do it right the 1st. time!

to clarify "losing ground" bad choice of words......The house temp would fall more during defrost cycles and house temp would be even further from satisfying.....

As long as the defrosts weren't excessively long or frequent, the temperature wouldn't drop more than a couple of degrees and just running one element would lower power bill. Pa. is kind of a cold climate for just hp/aux heat. I think anybody relying on that is going to unhappy with their electric bills

Could this thread be moved to pros residential area please....I posted in wrong area.....Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bkmichael65 View Post
    As long as the defrosts weren't excessively long or frequent, the temperature wouldn't drop more than a couple of degrees and just running one element would lower power bill. Pa. is kind of a cold climate for just hp/aux heat. I think anybody relying on that is going to unhappy with their electric bills
    His highest bills were 250-300 for the past 10 years....Last 2 months were 5-600....

Quote Originally Posted by farbeondriven View Post
    His highest bills were 250-300 for the past 10 years....Last 2 months were 5-600....
    If I had to guess, I would say aux heat is energized the whenever there is a call for heat

When you say one coil is "open" do you mean it was once functioning and now it is broken or it was never wired in to start with. if you read it open did you check each side to ground? sometimes they can break and the line side will ground out and eat 120v all day long. Any frozen controls like a sequencer stuck closed or a contactor welded shut?
    Last edited by jmsmars1; 03-20-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by bkmichael65 View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say aux heat is energized the whenever there is a call for heat
    Energized with defrost....does not run with call for heat unless stat starts to lag and differential is met

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    When you say one coil is "open" do you mean it was once functioning and now it is broken or it was never wired in to start with. if you read it open did you check each side to ground? sometimes they can break and the line side will ground out and eat 120v all day long. Any frozen controls like a sequencer stuck closed or a contactor welded shut?
    Actually checked them unwired from elements after I noticed only 25 amps on L1....Physically pulled heaters and found the break.....Sequencer works as it should

Down 1 element won't raise the juice bills. The system will run a hair longer using less juice to do it. So I'm with your boss.

Do they have an electric water heater?
    If they have an old fashioned rotary type electric meter outside, you can stand and watch the wheel speed up and slow down when the Aux. heat kicks in and out. If it's spinning fast when you know the aux heat is not on, then they have another issue.
    LN

What is temps outside at nite?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast