Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 53
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,859
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    I know more about HVAC than you do, Glen. What would you like to know about HVAC?
    Well Thermo, I sincerely doubt that but I'm willing to let you explain before I say I know more than you is an "absolute" truth. You go first since you made the claim and then I will follow with my education, knowledge, background and experience. Go ahead ace I'm waiting. (Oh Brian is also welcome to join in here too). Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Funny I can't find a single post of yours other than these in the ARP.
    How do you think other such posts would contribute to the topic we are meant to be having here?

    here's some more on Virtue as it occurs in Philosophy...

    Epistemic virtues

    An epistemic virtue (sometimes called an intellectual virtue) is a character trait which makes you better suited to gaining the truth. An example of such a trait might be conscientiousness. An agent who is conscientious in the way in which she forms her beliefs (i.e., she is careful to avoid error and takes all available evidence into account) will be more likely to form true beliefs than someone who is unconscientious.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well Thermo, I sincerely doubt that but I'm willing to let you explain before I say I know more than you is an "absolute" truth.
    Seriously - go ahead - what do you want to know.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,859
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    Seriously - go ahead - what do you want to know.
    Well how about your: education, knowledge (what areas you claim to be very knowlable in), background and experience as it pertains to HVAC not philosophy. That should do it. I'm waiting ace. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    You implicitly assumed you are superior to me in HVAC.

    Test your theory regarding your superiority - ask me technical questions. See how many answers I get right and how many make sense to you.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,859
    Funny never said that. You did however and said so. So the ball is in your court my friend. Thank you very much

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Funny never said that. You did however and said so. So the ball is in your court my friend. Thank you very much
    I did read your post as suggesting that I have no place here - showing no evidence of HVAC knowledge - which I thought rather silly as in fact I know a lot more than you do.

    And there's no doubting that on my part - I know more about HVAC than you do.

    But - this is the philosophy area of the fora which is not limited to just philosophy but it is still a philosophy forum and not an HVAC forum.

    Discussions regarding gun control are good examples of discussions where philosophising about the reasoning employed is useful.

    If you want to discuss HVAC then why not wonder off to a forum set aside for just that? I'm not holding you here.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    2,155
    Duck and dodge, duck and dodge...

    Glen, I do believe we have another troll here. When asked a direct question he will not answer. Typical of a troll.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Funny I can't find a single post of yours other than these in the ARP.
    He used to post here under a different handle. Going to put him on ignore, don't have time for all this babble.

    Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,367
    In a former life I was an Azeotropic blend of Dichlorodifluoromethane and Difluoroethane and my existence was limited within small confines that for all intensive purposes resulted in Faraday cage. My memory recall is fractionated now, but seems like people did not care for me all the much, especially the Government. I know I liked to be a bit higher than my good friend Chlorodifluoromethane, but I think they were just prejudice against the Dichlorodifluoromethanaites which was on my father’s side. I get some satisfaction from knowing that I got to burn many a Government employee when they wanted to check me out. Then again, that's really nothing new for Azetropics or otherwise. I knew my time was short lived once they outlawed my good purple friend Chloropentafluoroethane...he was always cool for beer. Which I remember what my street name was.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    (Oh Brian is also welcome to join in here too).
    Since I am a Licensed Finish Carpenter and a Certified Door & Window Installer you must be challenging my expertise and knowledge in those fields. So my question to you Glenn is would you take on hanging a pair of pre-finished, solid oak front entry doors with leaded glass after you built the jamb from scratch. Or easier yet, just tell me the most important tool used on that job to get a perfect fit.

    But if you are strictly talking about HVAC, I would say that many on this site know very little about the characteristics of air movement within a structure (house). That is, how heated and cooled supply air moves from the supplies to the return. Also how the bad effects of heat gain and heat loss can be mitigated by the location of supplies and returns.

    The butchery of those areas is my only interest in HVAC. But from what I've experienced, the butchery is huge.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,433
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    But now you are doing philosophy. When we think about thinking, which is what you are doing here in your making of comments about thinking, then you would want to get it right - getting it rights requires philosophising and so the invocation of the tools of philosophy - we call them philosophical devices.

    If you cannot offer argument in support of your claims here, above, then you are operating from mere intuition.


    Intellectual Bonkerism:

    This is an affliction that usually affects usually otherwise smart people. They have great theories and conceptual ideals. But unfortunately, nothing applies in the madcap world reality. So it is just bonkers.


    The philosophical question that follows that philosophical observation is "How reliable is intuition?".

    Well, since at least the 17th century, philosophers have accepted that intuition is a most unreliable epistemic tool indeed.

    Intuition told us the earth stands still and the sun and other heavenly bodies orbit it.

    Intuition told us that the stars were close enough for us to observe a parallax with the naked eye and so if the earth were to be orbiting the sun a parallax would have been observed.

    Intuition told us that if the earth were spinning then all the air, animals, water and loose stones would have been thrown off.

    Intuition told us that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects.

    What philosophers noticed, like Francis Bacon, was that ultimately experience is the test of all statements about the world - that is of all statements not logically necessary.

    But we humans also reason about those experiences - we build systems we imagine are impliedly related to those experiences - and this is where philosophy is necessary - philosophy is the practice of policing all our reasoning about what is experienced out in the world.

    Philosophy has established that since intuition is so very unreliable when it comes to matters of knowledge one must instead endeavour to construct arguments valid in form comprised of true propositions so that what is here and there decided to be the case and not the case by everyday reasoning, one matter to another, is founded on either sound arguments, when they are deductive, or rationally persuasive arguments, when they are inductive and that all premisses - as in all propositions - in subject and predicate form - are made explicit for examination.

    Usually at least one premiss is a generalisation - Socrates established and mastered the tools used to test generalisations - he came up with the philosophical device call "Counter example".

    Knowledge is defined, since Plato, to be Justified True Belief.
    Justification is about how our beliefs hang together in logical space.
    Truth is a metaphysical term about the necessary or contingent aspects of the world.
    Beliefs are object directed states of mind translatable into subject and predicate type declarative statements that can be either true or false.

    Wisdom, well, I liked the one shared with me recently which goes like this...

    Knowledge is of the likes of understanding that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is of the likes of the understanding that a tomato should not go into a fruit salad.

    If you can't support your position with good argument then I have to assume you are relying on intuition and therefore I am forced to assume that your position has been established by very unreliable means.
    Fair enough. No, it is not intuition. My examples would be karl marx and the Philosophy Guy in the other thread. They had great philosophical points, but in real world application they are BONKERS.

    But I may have misunderstood philosophy in the academic sense. If it exist just to make admittedly pointless drivel as can be applied to the real world then you are welcome to it. Nothing wrong with exploring new ideas and concepts.

    Just keep it in the lab. K?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,277
    Again, I think the OP has proven that whether or not he is a philosopher or not, we have established beyond a shadow of a doubt he has a severe case of attention deficit disorder. He takes three to four posts for what should be one response. He talks as if he's off his medication again. Full of psycho-babble and BS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event