Intellectual Toleration - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ControlsInMT is offline Professional Member/ARP Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    I know more about HVAC than you do, Glen. What would you like to know about HVAC?
    And the true ego and self-importance has been revealed!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

But some claims are made with implicit merit.

And it isn't always the case that claims made without merit - i.e. unsupported opinions - are always thereby not understood.
    ooh ya, don't worry, Im getting there
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    No, really, that is an objectively stated truth. There is much virtue in stating what is true regardless of whether it is suspected that others could not handle the truth.

For me to soften the truth I would have to implicitly assume a condescending approach - passing over the information softly softly like I was maybe talking to a bunch of overly sensitive teenage girls. I would not want to assume such an insolent position - I think it is more respectful just coming out with the truth.

I think it morally superior treating people as equals - telling them precisely how it is - not watering down the truth for their easier consumption - that would be disrespectful.

No, really, that is an objectively stated truth. There is much virtue in stating what is true regardless of whether is is suspected that other could not handle the truth.

For me to soften the truth I would have to implicitly assume a condescending approach - passing over the information softly softly like I was maybe talking to a bunch of overly sensitive teenage girls. I would not want to assume such an insolent position - I think it is more respectful just coming out with the truth.

I think it morally superior treating people as equals - telling them precisely how it is - not watering down the truth for their easier consumption - that would be disrespectful.
    On the contrary, by your own definition, isn't that only intuition? By what facts and logic have you analyzed that you know more than Glen? It seems your own personal bias has influenced your philisophical analysis of the statement.

And where exactly does virtue fit into philisophy?

...as the hyenas move in on their prey. But do they know whether it is a female lion or the dominant male? Let's see.

Name:  troll brain.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  61.4 KB

I found a definition of Brian!

On the contrary, by your own definition, isn't that only intuition? By what facts and logic have you analyzed that you know more than Glen? It seems your own personal bias has influenced your philisophical analysis of the statement.

And where exactly does virtue fit into philisophy?
    Some folks like Andy Schoen might know more about HVAC than I do but their numbers are very few

Where does virtue fit into philosophy? All over the place. Not just in Ethics but in Epistemology too...

Virtue epistemology

A virtue epistemology is any theory of knowledge which holds that knowledge is true belief that is gained as a result of the operation of reliable epistemic virtues or cognitive faculties. One version of this thesis is simply a refinement of a simple form of reliabilism. Whereas reliabilism in its most basic form holds that one can gain knowledge through any reliable belief-forming process, the virtue epistemologist of this sort claims that only certain reliable belief-forming processes are knowledge-conducive (i.e., those which are epistemic virtues or cognitive faculties of the agent). In common with reliabilism, this form of virtue epistemology is a form of epistemic externalism, in that it holds that an agent can have knowledge simply by forming a true belief via one of her reliable cognitive faculties, even if she lacks good grounds to back up that belief. In contrast, there are versions of virtue epistemology which are allied to epistemic internalism rather than epistemic externalism, and so claim that it is essential that a knowing agent is able to offer good grounds in favour of what she believes. This form of virtue epistemology holds that it is essential that one gains one’s true belief via one’s epistemic virtues, the thinking being that one cannot correctly employ one’s epistemic virtues without thereby acquiring good grounds in favour of what one believes.

Some folks like Andy Schoen might know more about HVAC than I do but their numbers are very few

Where does virtue fit into philosophy? All over the place. Not just in Ethics but in Epistemology too...

Virtue epistemology

A virtue epistemology is any theory of knowledge which holds that knowledge is true belief that is gained as a result of the operation of reliable epistemic virtues or cognitive faculties. One version of this thesis is simply a refinement of a simple form of reliabilism. Whereas reliabilism in its most basic form holds that one can gain knowledge through any reliable belief-forming process, the virtue epistemologist of this sort claims that only certain reliable belief-forming processes are knowledge-conducive (i.e., those which are epistemic virtues or cognitive faculties of the agent). In common with reliabilism, this form of virtue epistemology is a form of epistemic externalism, in that it holds that an agent can have knowledge simply by forming a true belief via one of her reliable cognitive faculties, even if she lacks good grounds to back up that belief. In contrast, there are versions of virtue epistemology which are allied to epistemic internalism rather than epistemic externalism, and so claim that it is essential that a knowing agent is able to offer good grounds in favour of what she believes. This form of virtue epistemology holds that it is essential that one gains one’s true belief via one’s epistemic virtues, the thinking being that one cannot correctly employ one’s epistemic virtues without thereby acquiring good grounds in favour of what one believes.
    And again, based on what is your statement being made? Your personal belief of your knoweledge? So then it cannot be a truth by your own definition.

And again, based on what is your statement being made? Your personal belief of your knowledge? So then it cannot be a truth by your own definition.
    Firstly, you're implicitly committing the Socratic fallacy - that there is one essential definition of such notions as knowledge. Such concepts are better treated not as fixed by certain necessary and sufficient terms but instead by a myriad of defeasible combinations of sufficient terms taken from an open list of relevant terms.

Secondly, you are forgetting that there are truths such as analytic and a priori truths can be established through pure reason alone - intuition is the measure. But this is not true of synthetic and a posteriori truths or metaphysical truths such as necessary and contingent truths.

Also - there are theories of knowledge - not just one of them - and I have shown you where the concept of virtue fits into one of them - I have said nothing about how such theories are judged by me or philosophers in general - only that virtue is a concept that does feature quite widely in philosophy.

So....no answer...yep..you and Brian....

So....no answer...yep..you and Brian....
    Are you done trolling?

Do you think you have contributed anything of substance to this threads topic?

Hahahaha....nice try. I asked you a simple question, based on what you have written. You would not answer it. So, tell me, who's the troll?

Funny I can't find a single post of yours other than these in the ARP.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast