Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 53
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    For someone who thinks he is so intellectually superior to everyone else here, the OP has to follow up his own posts with two more separate posts because he cannot make one cohesive thought. His only reason for posting here is an attempt to massage his own frail ego because he is so insecure.
    Could you explain?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    For someone who thinks he is so intellectually superior to everyone else here, the OP has to follow up his own posts with two more separate posts because he cannot make one cohesive thought. His only reason for posting here is an attempt to massage his own frail ego because he is so insecure.
    How could the first 3 posts be merged into one, as you suggest they could?

    What would be that one essential commonality you imagine ties them together - that the subject material could be reduced to?

    Cohesion occurs between thoughts - cohesion is not a single thought - so it makes no sense to ask from just one thought that is also cohesive.

    Even if one had a frail ego or was insecure - one could still, for all that, be making true claims. You cannot decide on the truth or falsity of a claim or the value of an argument just by considering the psychological status of the protagonist. These matters are utterly irrelevant - your comments, really, would say more about you than me.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    And we all know what happens when you assume!
    Indeed, that is why I make no assumptions about the truth or falsity of his reasoning because I am forced to assume the methods employed are unreliable.

    When you tell someone what you have to assume then you are no longer liable for those assumptions.

    If I tell you that I agree to your price offered for me to paint your walls and radiators assuming I do not have to remove the radiators from the walls to also paint behind them then you cannot afterwards withhold payment on the grounds that I have not painted behind the radiators - because I informed you explicitly of that assumption.

    In this case the word assumption is being used to make explicit what is being agreed to and what is not being agreed to so that there are fewer uncertainties - my saying what I assume has the effect of reducing uncertainties - not increasing them as you mistakenly thought.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,504
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    How could the first 3 posts be merged into one, as you suggest they could?

    What would be that one essential commonality you imagine ties them together - that the subject material could be reduced to?

    Cohesion occurs between thoughts - cohesion is not a single thought - so it makes no sense to ask from just one thought that is also cohesive.

    Even if one had a frail ego or was insecure - one could still, for all that, be making true claims. You cannot decide on the truth or falsity of a claim or the value of an argument just by considering the psychological status of the protagonist. These matters are utterly irrelevant - your comments, really, would say more about you than me.
    I thought cohesion would be several thoughts (or things) brought together to one single thought or entity.

    Making a "true claim" maybe only in your mind. Just because YOU believe something to be true, doesn't necessarily make it so.
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I thought cohesion would be several thoughts (or things) brought together to one single thought or entity.

    Making a "true claim" maybe only in your mind. Just because YOU believe something to be true, doesn't necessarily make it so.
    I think you mean reduction - not cohesion.

    Often though, someone will make a claim that relies on implicit premisses - those not explicitly stated. In order that the implied argument be examined one has to make explicit the underpinning premisses which often are also covering generalisations - those things that are subject to refutation by counter example. So very often a philosophers job is the unpacking of all that is impliedly invoked in support of arguments - we say such things as "So how does your claim cash out" and "can the invoked underpinning covering generalisations within which your claims are couched be squared universally when cashed out - when unpacked for inspection" and so much of the time a philosopher is expanding into multiple thoughts what was given him originally as just one or few thoughts.

    And indeed, a person can mistakenly judge a false claim to be true - especially when relying on intuition. That is why it is good philosophical practice to make the effort to translate one's opinions into positions - a position is an opinion supported by argument and evidence.

    You see - logic and the logical hanging together of thoughts - is what can be done intuitively. But the non-trivial non-logical components of reason - that is propositions about the world - that is statements in subject predicate form of the contingent world out there - cannot be established by mere intuition.

    Intuition can tell me that there are no such things as round squares or married bachelors but it cannot tell me whether snow is white or the sun will rise tomorrow - it is not a logical necessity that snow is white or that the sun will rise tomorrow - for these one has to offer evidence along with argument - not just argument alone as is the case with round squares and married bachelors.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    4,550
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,504
    no Im pretty sure Cohesion is the word:

    the property of unity in a written text or a segment of spoken discourse that stems from links among its surface elements, as when words in one sentence are repeated in another, and especially from the fact that some words or phrases depend for their interpretation upon material in preceding or following text, as in the sequence Be assured of this. Most people do not want to fight. However, they will do so when provoked, where this refers to the two sentences that follow, they refers back to most people, do so substitutes for the preceding verb fight, and however relates the clause that follows to the preceding sentence. Compare coherence ( def 5 ) .
    reduction has no meaning in combining thought except to reduce what you say to fewer words and paragraphs, for example:

    Often though, someone will make a claim that relies on implicit premisses - those not explicitly stated. In order that the implied argument be examined one has to make explicit the underpinning premisses which often are also covering generalizations - those things that are subject to refutation by counter example.
    in other words, people make claims without merit, the rest of us have to guess as to what the hell that person is talking about and then counter that claim with more BS

    see, wasn't that easier than an entire paragraph of BS?
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    reduction has no meaning in combining thought except to reduce what you say to fewer words and paragraphs
    What is the difference between thoughts, paragraphs and words?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    people make claims without merit, the rest of us have to guess as to what the hell that person is talking about and then counter that claim with more BS
    But some claims are made with implicit merit.

    And it isn't always the case that claims made without merit - i.e. unsupported opinions - are always thereby not understood.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,947
    Thermo do you know anything about HVAC? Heat transfer or anything other than your brand of philosphy which you are pushing on this site. Perhaps you should go to another web site where you can communicate with your fellow philosphers whom may seem interested in your opinions and or beliefs but you are IMHO a non starter here.

    Most of us could care less and you manage to piss quite a few off pushing your BS here including me. Just trying to turn you in the right direction here and I hope for all our sakes you take the hint. No hard feelings just this IMO is not the right site for you and your posts. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    I know more about HVAC than you do, Glen. What would you like to know about HVAC?

  12. #25
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,504
    Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    What is the difference between thoughts, paragraphs and words?

    obviously, they are cohesive, but the could be reduced to economize on vocabulary
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    obviously, they are cohesive, but the could be reduced to economize on vocabulary
    Everything should be made simple - but not so simple that any important elements are lost at the lower resolution mapping

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event