Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow Jacket Copper Tubing Expander

Any body have one of these? Do they work good? Does it take a lot of force to expand the copper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLravZHn9x8

Got the hydraulic version.....works very well.

That picture is a bender not a expander but I have both they work great

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Got the hydraulic version.....works very well.
    Any info, M# Price?

Quote Originally Posted by steinercanton View Post
    That picture is a bender not a expander but I have both they work great
    It is a video, you have to watch it to see the expander.

I have the original Rothenberg bender, expander and a few other things I think. They all work great cept I find that if I don't reem out the smaller tubing sizes I will get cracks in the expanded section.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Like a kid at Xmas. That's how I feel with every new tool.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

They both work great but it is possible to over expand the pipe and split it. What I've been taught and what eliminates the possibility of splitting it is you insert the tool, give the tool a half squeeze, remove the tool, give it a quarter turn, insert and squeeze again. Because of the layout of the 6 expanding parts of the tool, by doing it this way you get a nice even expansion and no splits. I love it for bigger pipe it swages in a fraction of the time manual swaging does and it looks clean.

As mentioned earlier the hydraulic expander is awesome too. It is a little more compact for getting into tigher spaces.

Bender works great too. Recommend both those tools. I'm curious about the reverse bender fitting he showed near the end. I don't think I've seen it in action.

I used the expander a few times at work, and it's a neat tool imo.

My only concern is the thinning of the tubing as you expand it, so I will stick to copper fittings.

You can buy the expander at Johnstones for around $280.00 out the door, or the hydraulic version for 329.00 (on flyer special), neither is cheap, so that’s a ton of expanding before you get your money back.

When I buy tools I go by level of importance, and to me it's low on the importance list for a few reasons, the biggest is I don’t see it being worth that kind of cash. Another is, I am pretty good at brazing, add in the fact that kit set me back about $400.00 for my kit plus tank deposits, so I want to use that.

The tubing benders are nice (on sale for $129.00 at Johnstones), but there is other options that are way less expensive, and again, how often are you going to break them out to make back your money?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    I used the expander a few times at work, and it's a neat tool imo.

My only concern is the thinning of the tubing as you expand it, so I will stick to copper fittings.

You can buy the expander at Johnstones for around $280.00 out the door, or the hydraulic version for 329.00 (on flyer special), neither is cheap, so that’s a ton of expanding before you get your money back.

When I buy tools I go by level of importance, and to me it's low on the importance list for a few reasons, the biggest is I don’t see it being worth that kind of cash. Another is, I am pretty good at brazing, add in the fact that kit set me back about $400.00 for my kit plus tank deposits, so I want to use that.

The tubing benders are nice (on sale for $129.00 at Johnstones), but there is other options that are way less expensive, and again, how often are you going to break them out to make back your money?
    You put an emphasis on( 1)good brazing technique ...you also sad (2)bender won't save you money.

I use no fittings and no extra braze and I am done more quickly. And I have less brazes.

How is that not a savings? Same goes for expander.

hydraulic expander is the best tool i have!!!

for $329 and being in business for yourself, it pays for itself a helluva lot faster than you think! fittings aren't cheap. doubling the chances for a leak, isn't cheap

and! saving your wrist is priceless lol not to mention smashed fingers lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post

I prefer the Imperial Eastman lever benders, I had a Rems that went bye bye with and ex partner, and I have a clone of it for the rookies. It does not do as nice a bend as the lever benders.

The expander can save about $4 for a coupling depending on size + how much #15 silver?

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I prefer the Imperial Eastman lever benders, I had a Rems that went bye bye with and ex partner, and I have a clone of it for the rookies. It does not do as nice a bend as the lever benders.

The expander can save about $4 for a coupling depending on size + how much #15 silver?
    one lb of 15% 120bucks divided by 16 lengths= $7.50 per length.

I use a hydraulic expander and a bender almost every day, doing installs. I don't even have copper couplings on my box truck. We carry 90s for tight spots where a bender won't fit.

It's nice when you can braze two joints instead to 10. Fewer joints to come apart while your fitting together or brazing also. Much less frustration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast