Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 39
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    meh, the h3ll with'em

    there's plenty of suppliers for the same tools out there. it's not like they've come up with must have new tool that nobody else offers
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    14
    I saw the Hilmor gauges at the AHR EXPO in Dallas. They looked cheap to me. I wasn't impressed.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,380
    I have heard that Hilmore is sending out a fleet of "sales", trucks to impress the hell out of us. Going to allow us to "trade" up.
    Think I will take a pass on that.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Credibility is a BIG think in our HVACR world... these guys are not starting off well.
    If it's credibility they need, maybe they should make some tools that don't look like cheap shiny plastic toys. That would be a real innovation. How long will it be before our tools are so cheaply made that we consider them consumable truck stock items and have to start billing customers for them?

    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    meh, the h3ll with'em

    there's plenty of suppliers for the same tools out there. it's not like they've come up with must have new tool that nobody else offers
    This is the same stuff everyone else makes, just a different color scheme.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    This is the same stuff everyone else makes, just a different color scheme.
    A couple of their tools, specifically the ratcheting tubing bender and hydraulic tubing expander, have some design improvements over others on the market.
    I'd hold off on the ratcheting bender until they have a reverse bend adapter for it though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    If it's credibility they need, maybe they should make some tools that don't look like cheap shiny plastic toys. That would be a real innovation. How long will it be before our tools are so cheaply made that we consider them consumable truck stock items and have to start billing customers for them?



    This is the same stuff everyone else makes, just a different color scheme.
    Not sure about billing customers for tools.... however IMO more and more tools are designed to last for a couple of years and be replaced.
    There are lots of threads suggesting Doug Lochart's DigiCool is not being handled by major chain supply houses because it will last too long. Evidently the big HVACR tool co's (read that YJ) want folks to buy throw away test tools. That way they can sell more and more and more.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  7. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Not sure about billing customers for tools.... however IMO more and more tools are designed to last for a couple of years and be replaced.
    There are lots of threads suggesting Doug Lochart's DigiCool is not being handled by major chain supply houses because it will last too long. Evidently the big HVACR tool co's (read that YJ) want folks to buy throw away test tools. That way they can sell more and more and more.
    i don't agree. No body around here had heard of BluVac either ....and now they can be ordered thru most suppliers here. (suppliers would not even consider that before)And we BluVac owners know how rugged they are.
    No, I don't buy that a product won't sell because it is "too good".

    Further, most techs on here own more than one brand of digital, so I don't see suppliers losing on sales because most guys will more than one set of digitals.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Fast forward 10 years into the future...

    You are standing at the supply house counter, gearing up for an install tomorrow. You say to the counter guy "Give me a 50' roll of 1 1/8" aluminum tubing, a 50' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing, some elbows and couplings, and a single-use disposable micron gauge."
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Fast forward 10 years into the future...

    You are standing at the supply house counter, gearing up for an install tomorrow. You say to the counter guy "Give me a 50' roll of 1 1/8" aluminum tubing, a 50' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing, some elbows and couplings, and a single-use disposable micron gauge."
    You are not to far off!
    I've no doubt at all that there will be composite layered refrigerant tubing, possibly with aluminum as the metal layer, because it is already being worked on, at least it was a few years ago.

    There has already been a single use vacuum indication product in the industry too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,278
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    i don't agree. No body around here had heard of BluVac either ....and now they can be ordered thru most suppliers here. (suppliers would not even consider that before)And we BluVac owners know how rugged they are.
    No, I don't buy that a product won't sell because it is "too good".

    Further, most techs on here own more than one brand of digital, so I don't see suppliers losing on sales because most guys will more than one set of digitals.
    \

    What you say 'should' be true... however it is not.

    Do some reading of past threads... you will find tool makers WANT to SELL boxes... they do NOT want to build quality that lasts.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  11. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    \

    What you say 'should' be true... however it is not.

    Do some reading of past threads... you will find tool makers WANT to SELL boxes... they do NOT want to build quality that lasts.
    I don't think that would be accurate as a bench mark....most tool thread are based on personal opinion rather than objective research.

    I have confidence in my quality tools and instruments. I paid half a grand for a Fluke 289 made in USA. You think that is "just selling boxes". I trust my Testo and and FD digitals so much I own two of each. I own four diff micron gauges all top tier.

    All my hand tools are Craftsman handed down to me by Uncle Clover. My Robinair five cfm pump is fifteen years old.

    I can't agree mfgs want to sell only boxes....not if your dealing with the right manufacturers.

    But if you go out of your way to pinch pennies, you are going to get what you deserve.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,278
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I don't think that would be accurate as a bench mark....most tool thread are based on personal opinion rather than objective research.

    I have confidence in my quality tools and instruments. I paid half a grand for a Fluke 289 made in USA. You think that is "just selling boxes". I trust my Testo and and FD digitals so much I own two of each. I own four diff micron gauges all top tier.

    All my hand tools are Craftsman handed down to me by Uncle Clover. My Robinair five cfm pump is fifteen years old.

    I can't agree mfgs want to sell only boxes....not if your dealing with the right manufacturers.

    But if you go out of your way to pinch pennies, you are going to get what you deserve.
    You and I can agree on this.

    What I will suggest you consider: Does a person counterfeiting paper money produce a pink $3 bill... of course not. If one is going to pass a fake paper unit of money... it must appear to be the real thing... that is 'fool' the person receiving it.

    Corporate America has been more interested in profits than quality (or for that matter even safety) for longer than any of us have been alive. One should NEVER blindly trust a large corp... rather verify quality.

    BTW: Why does one need multiple examples of a test instrument if it is a quality unit... If it is quality... it should not fail; or it should give you a warning. Sounds like you answered your own statement.

    As far as objective research... tell me how that would work... Regardless of how 'through' the procedure... there always will be holes in it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    226
    This week Gemair in Orlando started selling their stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event