+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hilmor...may be you should think again

Post Likes
    Fast forward 10 years into the future...

You are standing at the supply house counter, gearing up for an install tomorrow. You say to the counter guy "Give me a 50' roll of 1 1/8" aluminum tubing, a 50' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing, some elbows and couplings, and a single-use disposable micron gauge."
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post

You are standing at the supply house counter, gearing up for an install tomorrow. You say to the counter guy "Give me a 50' roll of 1 1/8" aluminum tubing, a 50' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing, some elbows and couplings, and a single-use disposable micron gauge."
    You are not to far off!
    I've no doubt at all that there will be composite layered refrigerant tubing, possibly with aluminum as the metal layer, because it is already being worked on, at least it was a few years ago.

There has already been a single use vacuum indication product in the industry too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    i don't agree. No body around here had heard of BluVac either ....and now they can be ordered thru most suppliers here. (suppliers would not even consider that before)And we BluVac owners know how rugged they are.
    No, I don't buy that a product won't sell because it is "too good".

Further, most techs on here own more than one brand of digital, so I don't see suppliers losing on sales because most guys will more than one set of digitals.
    \

What you say 'should' be true... however it is not.

Do some reading of past threads... you will find tool makers WANT to SELL boxes... they do NOT want to build quality that lasts.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    \

What you say 'should' be true... however it is not.

Do some reading of past threads... you will find tool makers WANT to SELL boxes... they do NOT want to build quality that lasts.
    I don't think that would be accurate as a bench mark....most tool thread are based on personal opinion rather than objective research.

I have confidence in my quality tools and instruments. I paid half a grand for a Fluke 289 made in USA. You think that is "just selling boxes". I trust my Testo and and FD digitals so much I own two of each. I own four diff micron gauges all top tier.

All my hand tools are Craftsman handed down to me by Uncle Clover. My Robinair five cfm pump is fifteen years old.

I can't agree mfgs want to sell only boxes....not if your dealing with the right manufacturers.

But if you go out of your way to pinch pennies, you are going to get what you deserve.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I don't think that would be accurate as a bench mark....most tool thread are based on personal opinion rather than objective research.

I have confidence in my quality tools and instruments. I paid half a grand for a Fluke 289 made in USA. You think that is "just selling boxes". I trust my Testo and and FD digitals so much I own two of each. I own four diff micron gauges all top tier.

All my hand tools are Craftsman handed down to me by Uncle Clover. My Robinair five cfm pump is fifteen years old.

I can't agree mfgs want to sell only boxes....not if your dealing with the right manufacturers.

But if you go out of your way to pinch pennies, you are going to get what you deserve.
    You and I can agree on this.

What I will suggest you consider: Does a person counterfeiting paper money produce a pink $3 bill... of course not. If one is going to pass a fake paper unit of money... it must appear to be the real thing... that is 'fool' the person receiving it.

Corporate America has been more interested in profits than quality (or for that matter even safety) for longer than any of us have been alive. One should NEVER blindly trust a large corp... rather verify quality.

BTW: Why does one need multiple examples of a test instrument if it is a quality unit... If it is quality... it should not fail; or it should give you a warning. Sounds like you answered your own statement.

As far as objective research... tell me how that would work... Regardless of how 'through' the procedure... there always will be holes in it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    This week Gemair in Orlando started selling their stuff.

Post Likes

Thank goodness that I don't have more than about 15 years left (if my body lasts that long.) Most of my tools are old and still going strong. Very little of what I have purchased in the last 10 years lasted more than a year or so. It is a damn shame. I have a set of analogs that is older than some of the members of this forum and I still use them on R22 systems today. They were made with heavy brass and quality gauges. Not the case anymore.

Post Likes
    If it's credibility they need, maybe they should make some tools that don't look like cheap shiny plastic toys. That would be a real innovation. How long will it be before our tools are so cheaply made that we consider them consumable truck stock items and have to start billing customers for them?

This is the same stuff everyone else makes, just a different color scheme.
    you ain't kidding!!!

i left the auto indusrty, still have all 50k worth of my tools plus another 12k in tool boxes.

i entered the HVAC industry almost ten years ago and have been quite unsatisfied with tools ever since.

at least i enjoy working on my personal vehicles again lol i enjoy holding a quality tool in my hand
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    I will be 68 in a few weeks. I have tools left from when I was in the automotive field. My truck is older than a lot of members here on the forum.
    I replaced a lot of my tools and equipment in December, still have a few to go. I remember the fist Tif digitals. I have a low side gauge that still works, not all that accurate but then it never was. I don't know how many sets of gauges I have. Just bought the Testo 570's and so far so good. My research now says I should have gone with the DC's. Don't know if I have another 10 years left, if I do I expect I will have to retool a few more times to keep up with the ever changing industry.

Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    Thank goodness that I don't have more than about 15 years left (if my body lasts that long.) Most of my tools are old and still going strong. Very little of what I have purchased in the last 10 years lasted more than a year or so. It is a damn shame. I have a set of analogs that is older than some of the members of this forum and I still use them on R22 systems today. They were made with heavy brass and quality gauges. Not the case anymore.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I will be 68 in a few weeks. I have tools left from when I was in the automotive field. My truck is older than a lot of members here on the forum.
    I replaced a lot of my tools and equipment in December, still have a few to go. I remember the fist Tif digitals. I have a low side gauge that still works, not all that accurate but then it never was. I don't know how many sets of gauges I have. Just bought the Testo 570's and so far so good. My research now says I should have gone with the DC's. Don't know if I have another 10 years left, if I do I expect I will have to retool a few more times to keep up with the ever changing industry.
    Happy Birthday!

I am sure the Uncle would have the same sentiments about himself.

Post Likes
    those 570's will do you just fine
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    My local Johnston got the Hilmor Swag, flare and bending kits in today, but the pricing is whack.
    $430 for the compact hydraulic swag kit, and it is made in China.
    The competitions hydraulic swag tools are also made in china, but cost $100 less, and come with more expander heads.

Due to the superior ease of use design, I may pick up the Hilmor set if the price difference comes down a good bit, but am passing on it for now.

Post Likes
    I have heard that Hilmore is sending out a fleet of "sales", trucks to impress the hell out of us. Going to allow us to "trade" up.
    Think I will take a pass on that.
    I saw a Hilmor truck going down the interstate today. Don't know where it was coming from, I was way up north, it must have been up in Duluth or somewhere else in northern Wisconsin or Minnesota. I haven't heard of any of the wholesalers around here selling it yet.

Post Likes
    Something about the Hilmore just doesn't set right. I have the master cool swage kit, it works great but sometimes it would work better if it was not so bulky. I have all the lever type benders but I like the YJ bender. Next on the list is the reverse attachment. wonder if I will ever use it?

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    My local Johnston got the Hilmor Swag, flare and bending kits in today, but the pricing is whack.
    $430 for the compact hydraulic swag kit, and it is made in China.
    The competitions hydraulic swag tools are also made in china, but cost $100 less, and come with more expander heads.

Due to the superior ease of use design, I may pick up the Hilmor set if the price difference comes down a good bit, but am passing on it for now.
    Last edited by lytning; 04-02-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spellin

Post Likes
    Next on the list is the reverse attachment. wonder if I will ever use it?
    I use the reverse attachment almost as often as I use the bender without it.
    The reverse attachment is a must have for bending a copper stub out from a wall, or bending the suction line into the connections for a coil in a tight closet install.

Post Likes
    two supply houses stopped by yesterday with sale ads for it with no prices on it but one saying u can get 10% off of any purchase of their tools and one with 5% off of a total invoice over $750 can be materials mixed in with it. One acted like it was the bees nees and said no one else has anything else like what they have i just shook my head and thought about this thread. Most of it is already out in the field just a different color. He said they do have lifetime warranty on all hand tools and i think 3 years on gauges. Alot of hand tools do have lifetime but most people dont keep the receipts or try to deal with the hassle

Post Likes
    When I buy something I etch or paint the date on it, the supplier initials also. Then if there is a problem I just take it back to the supplier and have them look it up. Also paint the date on most all new parts replaced. Another thing is to mark the refrigerant in the system. Paint sticks are handy.

Quote Originally Posted by klee7013 View Post
    two supply houses stopped by yesterday with sale ads for it with no prices on it but one saying u can get 10% off of any purchase of their tools and one with 5% off of a total invoice over $750 can be materials mixed in with it. One acted like it was the bees nees and said no one else has anything else like what they have i just shook my head and thought about this thread. Most of it is already out in the field just a different color. He said they do have lifetime warranty on all hand tools and i think 3 years on gauges. Alot of hand tools do have lifetime but most people dont keep the receipts or try to deal with the hassle

Post Likes
    My opinion is that the Fieldpiece SMAN4 is the better of the digital gauges. Hilmor has some great features as well.

Post Likes
    When I buy something I etch or paint the date on it, the supplier initials also. Then if there is a problem I just take it back to the supplier and have them look it up. Also paint the date on most all new parts replaced. Another thing is to mark the refrigerant in the system. Paint sticks are handy.
    Good idea. I do that too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in