REVIEW: Nylog Gasket and Thread Sealant - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpast View Post
    We have been manufacturing Nylog since 1995. It is great to hear all the positive feedback on our product.

Thanks,

John Pastorello
    Refrigeration Technologies
    Hey John,

Love Nylog and you have a lot of other good product too.

Thanks, fixed many leaky flares with it.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

John,

Is the OP correct in that nylog blue can be used with R-22 systems as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sjofkfr View Post
    John,

Is the OP correct in that nylog blue can be used with R-22 systems as well?
    Sure, why not. You can use POE with R-22, right? As well as AB oil.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

You can use Nylog Blue with any refrigerant or system oil. We make two versions of Nylog, one with Mineral oil, (the Red) and the other with POE, (the Blue). Nylog Blue can be used universally. The only reason we still offer and produce the Nylog Red is because too many technicians have never educated themselves that oils can be mixed. Just remember that you can use POE with any refrigerant/oil, but you cannot use 100% Mineral or AB to run an HFC system. About 90% POE is needed in an HFC system to carry residual MO or AB. Hope this helps... Thanks, John Pastorello, Refrigeration Technologies

Our business was using vacuum grease....now we use nylog.

Not fond of the applicator so I use a "Q" Tip Applicator. Keeps it off your fingers and gets under service valves easily.

You can use Nylog Blue with any refrigerant or system oil. We make two versions of Nylog, one with Mineral oil, (the Red) and the other with POE, (the Blue). Nylog Blue can be used universally. The only reason we still offer and produce the Nylog Red is because too many technicians have never educated themselves that oils can be mixed. Just remember that you can use POE with any refrigerant/oil, but you cannot use 100% Mineral or AB to run an HFC system. About 90% POE is needed in an HFC system to carry residual MO or AB. Hope this helps... Thanks, John Pastorello, Refrigeration Technologies
    I didn't notice this until I bought a new bottle of nylog, but, after time in the toolbag, it seems to darken several shades.

Fresh out of the bottle, it has a nice, clear-amber color and, after time, it darkens to a translucent brown-amber color.

Why does this happen? Is it detrimental to the performance of the product?

I have replaced valve plates after 3 years with the nylog smeared gaskets and they came off much easier. That sure was a pleasant surprise when i didn't need to hammer on my gasket scraper to clean the head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I didn't notice this until I bought a new bottle of nylog, but, after time in the toolbag, it seems to darken several shades.

Fresh out of the bottle, it has a nice, clear-amber color and, after time, it darkens to a translucent brown-amber color.

Why does this happen? Is it detrimental to the performance of the product?
    I have seen this to

Nylog or any oil will darken overtime due to exposure to [air] oxygen, hence oxidation. This will in no way affect performance.

Nylog or any oil will darken overtime due to exposure to [air] oxygen, hence oxidation. This will in no way affect performance.
    That's kind of what I thought was happening, but I wanted to hear it from the expert.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    I was always taught to put some oil on my flare before assembling, for the same reasons as above. NEVER leak-lock, dope or T-tape obviously but just a bit of ref or vacuum pump oil. When nylog came on the market, I begin using that.

Oil/nylog provides lubrication so your flare doesn't twist and kink when tightened. It also displaces any moisture out of the flare threads and reduces vibrations that may cause the nut to loosen over time. Unlike thread sealants neither oil or nylog occupy enough space to compromise the flare joint, so there should be no harm in using it.

One if my biggest pet peeves is guys who put thread sealants on flare threads, or any compression fitting for that matter. It simply shows they do not understand how a compression fitting works

I use either nylog or oil on every flare joint i make and I have never had a call back due to a leaky flare......

Maybe it's just me.....
    yes, i use oil on a flare fitting.

but i was referring to the other things you had mentioned. and i grouped nylog into that category.

i'll have to do some personal testing to see that nylog acts like oil in these fittings.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Another great review. I still have leak lock and use it. I have the Nylog but haven't used it yet. After reading this I think I will.

I use Nylog Blue on

Flares

Service valve stems

TEV Capacity cartridges

O-rings

Gaskets

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast