Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

REVIEW: Nylog Gasket and Thread Sealant

REVIEW: Nylog Gasket and Thread Sealant

This is kinda a mini review. Nylog is a product that I just came across in the last few months but it has changed the way I do things. If you think about it...you don't join two pieces of brass, galvanized, or PVC without adding pipe dope, teflon tape, or some other type of thread sealant?

So why would you think that a joint between two 1/2 (1/4 or 3/8) hose fitting will be leak free when under a low micron vacuum without some type of thread sealant? That's what Nylog is for.

There are two types of Nylog. Blue and Red. The blue is for HFC refrigerants. The red is for CFC or HCFC refrigerants. According to refrigeration technologies, the blue is universal as it has been approved for 410A. I use blue for all applications.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  26.0 KB

The thing that makes Nylog unique is that it is derived from refrigerant grade lubricants so there is no compatibility or contamination issues.

When applying Nylog, a little "dab" will go a long way. I've had good luck with simply applying a small amount directly on the needed threads then applying the fitting. Nylog will never dry, crack or become heat fixed. I haven't personally used them on any gaskets but it claims to be great on that application too. It will prevent the gaskets from drying out or cracking.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  35.1 KB

It comes in 30 ml bottle. The top twists open to allow easy dispensing of small amounts. If you get some on your hands or tools, it wipes off with a rag with no residue. That's more than I can say about other thread sealants.

If your serious about pulling a good vacuum and keeping all your hose fittings, micron gauges, and CRT's tight - you NEED this product. I believe Nylog is the determining factor between a 5000 micron and a 500 micron vacuum. I won't perform a vacuum without it ever again.

Thanks,

Brent A. Ridley

My preference is applying it to the flare mating surface / hose gasket and not so much the threads.

Will enjoy this review as an avid nylog User. It will swell some orings and seals though.

Every acorn cap and even plastic ones with orings.

Oh and its food grade safe so its possibility's are endless.

Great thing about using it on gaskets and O-rings.

It will hold the dirty little buggers in place while you've got the other half of the part in one hand, a bolt in the other and trying to keep that gasket in place while you line things up just so....

I've been using it for years, on pretty much every mechanical refrigerant connection, cap, and hose seal I deal with, great stuff.
    It makes good lube for the extractor shaft in your core removers too.
    Even using it daily on various things, that little bottle will last a looooong time too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yep good stuff... Still waiting for a compressors to die that ive used it on. To see how easy gaskets will come off. I use it on the back side of flares fitting as well.

I wish the guys who use goose sh!t (leak lock) would learn to use nylog. Have busted my knuckles so many times cracking open fittings with that blue junk

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Nylog is GREAT! Use it for flared fittings and threaded connections.

Like some other things Brent has reviewed... It just WORKS. Not much else needs to be said.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have been selling this product for a little over 2 years, works really well. I really recommend it for mini split flare connections. Provides a little lubrication, keeps the water out and is a terrific sealant as well. Had great success with it

On quick suggestion though, the reason we provide plugs/caps for every connection in the vacuum kits we sell is to keep the hoses free from dirt. Nylog will hold any dirt that hits it so an open hose is an invitation for trouble. But it for sure has eliminated a lot of service class on vacuum rigs for us.

Jim
    JLB,

i'll never understand putting anything on a FLARE fitting....

maybe it's just me...
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    i'll never understand putting anything on a FLARE fitting....

maybe it's just me...
    I was always taught to put some oil on my flare before assembling, for the same reasons as above. NEVER leak-lock, dope or T-tape obviously but just a bit of ref or vacuum pump oil. When nylog came on the market, I begin using that.

Oil/nylog provides lubrication so your flare doesn't twist and kink when tightened. It also displaces any moisture out of the flare threads and reduces vibrations that may cause the nut to loosen over time. Unlike thread sealants neither oil or nylog occupy enough space to compromise the flare joint, so there should be no harm in using it.

One if my biggest pet peeves is guys who put thread sealants on flare threads, or any compression fitting for that matter. It simply shows they do not understand how a compression fitting works

I use either nylog or oil on every flare joint i make and I have never had a call back due to a leaky flare......

Maybe it's just me.....

Yup popped my Nylog cherry this month. I think it is a GREAT product and recommend all hvac techs to use

We have been manufacturing Nylog since 1995. It is great to hear all the positive feedback on our product.

Thanks,

John Pastorello
    Refrigeration Technologies

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast