+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tools

Post Likes

tools

i'm just curious what you cfs techs carry in your tool bags.
    also are there any specialized tools/meters for the trade?

Post Likes
    basic hand tools, meters etc. digital thermometer high temp, immersion probe, hot surface probe. but be aware standard wire connectors don't hold upto heat and high amps you need ceramic wire nuts. steel wire connectors. heat tape, high temp wire etc.

Post Likes
    do a search of this site for the topic, carry in tool bag

it is vast...

Post Likes

Wire Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by ezone View Post
    basic hand tools, meters etc. digital thermometer high temp, immersion probe, hot surface probe. but be aware standard wire connectors don't hold upto heat and high amps you need ceramic wire nuts. steel wire connectors. heat tape, high temp wire etc.
    I used to replace HSI's with new ones, but the ones I had in truck stock didn't have the same pig tail on them.. SO... cut the new tail off and plastic wire connected the old connector in it's place... I learned!! LOL Guess the porcelin wire connectors finely made me aware the first time I seen them in the box. I got luckey!!

Post Likes
    I hadn't been in the CFS repair industry very long before I had to rewire an electric grill, I rewired it with what I was used to using - standard wire, crimps and wire nuts. It wasn't very long before I had to redo some if it due to the heat generated. Ended up rewiring the whole thing over only this time it was hot (temperature hot) and that is not very fun but I learned my lesson!

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

Post Likes

tools and meters

The Fluke multimeter model 16 (HVAC) has been the one I carried for many years, Graingers #4KD91. It can read microamps for ignition controls.
    It is also a capacitor tester, and can read as low as the range of microwave oven caps. With the built in thermometer you will have to buy the probes separately.
    Fluke is the sturdiest meter in my experience.
    Havent tried any others because I stick with what works... always interested in what others may say though.
    The only specialty socket tools I carry are deep dish sockets and crowsfoot for hi limit and tstat packings. A riveter and some 1/8 stainless steel rivets and a tubes of silicone for repairs and sealing.
    Don't forget hi temp fiberglass tape for wiring repairs.
    I don't like the ceramic wire nuts. it is sometimes hard to get a tight fit. Been using those two piece connectors with the brass setscrew and outer plastic cap. They are expensive.
    Another "specialty" tool that comes in handy for scraping grease and prying is a gasket scraper which is sold at auto parts stores. It looks like a screwdriver with a 3/4 or so inch wide scraper. They cost less than 10$ so I feel free to use mine as a chisel too. : )
    My choice for a cordless screwdriver is the Milwaukee6547-22 ( graingers4YJ82). I like this one for its small size. It fits easily in my tool pouch and swivels 90 degrees in the middle for tight spots. It doesnt have alot of torque, but for most screws it is fine. I try to use wrist action first before the battery to save on battery life. There may be stronger cordless ones out there but this one is the smallest that I know of. Anybody know of anything new?
    John

Post Likes
    i have a fluke 16 my self,
    i was just wondering if ther were specialized tools for cfs equipment like meters,or special wrenches needed for say dish washers.

Post Likes

Special tools

I have worked on Hobart,Insinger,Jackson commercial machines and never needed anything special.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in