Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

A Philosopher on Gun Control

Western philosophers think a lot about thinking itself. Their main quest is to get our thinking right.

Actually, the two most intelligence demanding careers in the west are Physics and Philosophy. These are the two groups of people we should be paying most attention to about the world around us.

Here is one philosopher thinking about the thinking commonly taking place on the matter of gun control.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/philosophy...un_Control.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post

Actually, the two most intelligence demanding careers in the west are Physics and Philosophy.

You may want to rethink the latter career of this statement, especially in this example.
    Nothing is magic, it works or doesn't work for a reason.

What a bunch of nonsense, there is so much wrong with his argument, I don't even know how to begin.

His argument that if no one had guns we would be much safer, and his comparison to the killing in the school here and the one in china were a knife was used is ridicules. It ignores that in both situations if a gun was available, both situation could have resulted in the attacker being eliminated, and no injuries or death would have resulted.

He ignored the fact that both gun and knifes can kill or injure. To claim that anyone should be happy to be stabbed instead of shot is ridicules. What is totally ignored is that when one has the ability to defend themselves with a gun, one is equal to power or strength, the weak have the same power as the strong.

Also his claim that citizens in a country could not deter tyrannical intentions by being armed is wrong, history shows it to be wrong. If such countries would not be deterred, than why is disarming the first thing they do before taking over. Show me any country where citizen were well armed and such country or region was subjugated, they don't exist. All one has to do is look at Afghanistan.

Not to mention that in the UK and Australia since gun confiscation, gun violence and home invasions have gone up.

Typical brit snobbery.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Agreed Roy!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Also want to add, America IS NOT a democracy, we are a democratic republic.

The UK in my opinion is no longer a democracy, its 1984 incarnate....

And yes...... I've been there.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Everyone is a philosopher. You ever see want ads for a philosopher? No? There is a reason for this. Go philosophize me a bridge, or a car, or an AC that works.

seriously, "People don't need to go out and send little pieces of metal through sentient beings"

I wonder if he would change his mind if his wife or daughter got raped and killed by a bad sentient being

he also keeps saying it's "my personal belief" or "In my opinion" or "In view"

what a pompous butt head. I couldn't get half way through this jerks mellow dramatic crap. stay in England you idiot
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense, there is so much wrong with his argument, I don't even know how to begin.

His argument that if no one had guns we would be much safer, and his comparison to the killing in the school here and the one in china were a knife was used is ridicules. It ignores that in both situations if a gun was available, both situation could have resulted in the attacker being eliminated, and no injuries or death would have resulted.

He ignored the fact that both gun and knifes can kill or injure. To claim that anyone should be happy to be stabbed instead of shot is ridicules. What is totally ignored is that when one has the ability to defend themselves with a gun, one is equal to power or strength, the weak have the same power as the strong.

Also his claim that citizens in a country could not deter tyrannical intentions by being armed is wrong, history shows it to be wrong. If such countries would not be deterred, than why is disarming the first thing they do before taking over. Show me any country where citizen were well armed and such country or region was subjugated, they don't exist. All one has to do is look at Afghanistan.

Not to mention that in the UK and Australia since gun confiscation, gun violence and home invasions have gone up.

Typical brit snobbery.

Roy

not to mention, hands and feet kill more people than guns.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    Western philosophers think a lot about thinking itself. Their main quest is to get our thinking right.

Actually, the two most intelligence demanding careers in the west are Physics and Philosophy. These are the two groups of people we should be paying most attention to about the world around us.

Here is one philosopher thinking about the thinking commonly taking place on the matter of gun control.

The guy may claim to be a philosopher, I claim he is an idiot.

My claim is more valid than his.

Arguments anyone?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    The guy may claim to be a philosopher, I claim he is an idiot.

My claim is more valid than his.

Arguments anyone?
    I drink to that

He will eventually get to the real logic of truly perfecting the situation that if there were plenty of guns but no people the subject of gun control would be solved.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Roy, can you think of something that fails with his prisoners dilemma argument that without guns we would all be more secure?

His overall argument of course is wholly consistent with your argument that if in both the US and China, on those occasions, there was someone else with a gun to stop the killers then less damage would have been done. His main argument seems to be that the derivative right to self defence ultimately reduces security, the principle from which that right is derived, since when squared universally everyone is back to the same position as they were before guns but now they are all capable of acts more lethal tending to violate the natural right to security. Do you think his argument can be defeated?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    not to mention, hands and feet kill more people than guns.
    And people that breath air and have blood pumping through their veins kill even more than hands and feet.

If hands and feet are so deadly, why not use them next time to defend against a gun?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast