Scroll Factory Miswired?

4 year old 3 ton Rheem 12 SEER heat pump. The compressor is burned out shorted to ground. Now the interesting part, the tech says he thinks the unit was miswired from the factory. The purple wire from run capacitor was hooked up to the R lug on compressor and the red wire from L2 was hooked on the S lug on the compressor. Now my understanding (very limited) of this is that these PSC type motors utilize a run capacitor in the auxilary winding, this produces a simulated 2 phase motor. Is it possible for a miswired unit (Copeland Scroll) to last that long? It blowed a capacitor within one year of install and had numerous service calls for poor heating and cooling per records I could get my hands on but apparently noone ever figured out what was wrong. Unit has been out of service for over a year (foreclosure property) Now obviously someone could have swapped leads at the compressor but that does not seem likely since it would be much harder to get to than the other ends at the capacitor and contactor. What do you guys think, yes I know the compressor is under warranty but I would like for Rheem to pay the labor (obviously) if this was a factory problem. Tech says no way they will do anything about labor costs but thought you guys might have better contacts? Now Tsubaki has the cash to pay the labor but it would hurt him mightly to turn it loose if you know what I mean LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    4 year old 3 ton Rheem 12 SEER heat pump. The compressor is burned out shorted to ground. Now the interesting part, the tech says he thinks the unit was miswired from the factory. The purple wire from run capacitor was hooked up to the R lug on compressor and the red wire from L2 was hooked on the S lug on the compressor. Now my understanding (very limited) of this is that these PSC type motors utilize a run capacitor in the auxilary winding, this produces a simulated 2 phase motor. Is it possible for a miswired unit (Copeland Scroll) to last that long? It blowed a capacitor within one year of install and had numerous service calls for poor heating and cooling per records I could get my hands on but apparently noone ever figured out what was wrong. Unit has been out of service for over a year (foreclosure property) Now obviously someone could have swapped leads at the compressor but that does not seem likely since it would be much harder to get to than the other ends at the capacitor and contactor. What do you guys think, yes I know the compressor is under warranty but I would like for Rheem to pay the labor (obviously) if this was a factory problem. Tech says no way they will do anything about labor costs but thought you guys might have better contacts? Now Tsubaki has the cash to pay the labor but it would hurt him mightly to turn it loose if you know what I mean LOL
    If you are basically saying that the run and start windings were reversed, the system never would have worked. The compressor would have ran backwards if at all, and a scroll won't pump in reverse.

If that purple wire is also connected to L1, someone was out to do harm.

Guys was doing a google search and this popped up dont know who turtle is but sounds authorative??
    Copied from google search

"This is Turtle.

First i have been wrong a bunch of times and have no problem telling you about
    it.

Second i run a test on a Copland 36k btu 220 volt Piston Compressor about 10
    years ago to try to win a bet on a compressor burning up by miss wiring it. The
    fellow told me that i could not burn up a compressor no way you would miss wire
    it. I aimed to just burn his ass and take some money from him and a good
    bull****ter is alway good for a quick picking of a $100.00 Bill. I got a Copland
    single phase compressor in a trade and it was about 6 months old and come off a
    job with it still running. here is the Test.

i electrically hooked up the compressor up like it should be with capasitor in
    line and just like it would be if installed in a condenser. i run it for 5
    minutes and it run good pumping air.

I reversed the start and run terminal as to reverse the direction and put the
    power to it. the compressor run good but at about 1/2 speed for about 15
    minutes. Then it cut out on high temp. then in about 15 minutes it turned back
    on and run another 5 minutes. I let it go like this for 4 hours and compressor
    was still running every time after it over heated.

Then I just took two 220 volt service lines and tied one to the Run terminal and
    the other to the Start terminal. this made a circuit that would not go through
    the temperature safety high but by pass it all together. i let it buzz like this
    for about 4 hours and the compressor got so hot you could cook eggs on it but
    never burn up. Outdoor temp was 75ºF . The thing operated like this for more
    than 4 hours like and not any damage at all.

I wired it back up right and it would pull a 26 inch vacuum running in a blocked
    off suction line.

So I'm not tring to prove anything here but tell you what took place when i
    thought that they would burn up by misswiring the compressor in someway and also
    pick me up a $100.00 bill off a turkey and got fooled when I checked it out to
    see.

None of the above are facts from a book or referance material and nothing but
    what i watch happen at one point in time.

TURTLE "

For one thing, Turtles test was not a Scroll.

A scroll comp will not last long running backward.

You also have to remember his test is 4 hours, not 4 years.

Trust me, the comp was not wired backward from the factory, all units are run tested at the factory.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

You want Rheem to pay the labor for a compressor changeout on a foreclosed piece of property which a unit with a "miswired" from factory compressor??? You'd be laughed out of People's Court. Pay the man and be thankful you're getting the compressor for free.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    You want Rheem to pay the labor for a compressor changeout on a foreclosed piece of property which a unit with a "miswired" from factory compressor??? You'd be laughed out of People's Court. Pay the man and be thankful you're getting the compressor for free.

I agree with this
    Also i dout very much it was miswired from the factory or it would not have lasted this long

I recomend you have the real problem found or you will be replacing the new compressor before to long.

If there were multiple repairs make to this unit then there is a hidden problem and it should be found. Compressor dont die they are killed> the key is what killed it

You will not see any help with your labor cost from the factory. It states in the original warranty paperwork, that the warranty does not cover any labor cost nor does it cover the cost of shipping the part. Even calling Ft. Smith would probably just be a waste of your time, after they type in your serial number and discover that the cap has been change once before and the unit has been in service for 4 years.

Man guys I got good news!! I just saved a bunch of money on compressor replacement. It seems that the folks that originally had the unit installed, bought a 10 year Parts and Labor warranty and it IS transferrable to any new owner for a fee of 25 bones Awh life is terrific. Thanks for all the thoughful and informative answers. peoples court yeah right smokin68 lol put that weed down man you have had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    Man guys I got good news!! I just saved a bunch of money on compressor replacement. It seems that the folks that originally had the unit installed, bought a 10 year Parts and Labor warranty and it IS transferrable to any new owner for a fee of 25 bones Awh life is terrific. Thanks for all the thoughful and informative answers. peoples court yeah right smokin68 lol put that weed down man you have had enough.

Yeah o.k..........sure they did.Funny guy.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Well I sell RUUD and I would have to see it for myself that the compressor would even start, personally I think thats BS because I know the purple wire comes off the hermetic terminal of the Capacitor to the start on the compressor now how it would ever start is beyond me, and it did it for 4 years?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Sounds like to me someone either didn't get paid for services or the person who was foreclosed on knew enough to cause some damage. Seems to happen on foreclosed property frequently.
    The tech. that is working on it now is probably not the same that had previous problems with the unit. He only inherited the problem