Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    So the first people who did your audit could not have noticed the windows were not shutting properly? You should ask for your money back. Their job is to tell you how much air leakage you have and where it is at. Your first audit was a big waste of money.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by taverty View Post
    The company came today, I was bummed it was so warm today. The negative pressure pretty much stops when it's warm out. They said my house is even tighter now, 4.6 exchanges vs 5.06.

She thinks the problem is my upstairs M&W windows. As she was running the test she heard a whirling sound coming from one of our bedroom windows. We looked closely at the window and sure enough, there was an 1/8" gap at the top of the window and air was pouring in. A lot of the windows upstairs had a small gap at the top. Only one was so bad that you could really hear and feel the air flow. The problem is the locking latch doesn't force the window up tight so from a quick glance it looks like the windows are closed. I think this is why she missed them the first go around.

She suggested I address all of the windows and see if I still have the negative pressure when it gets cold again. If I still do, she will have the energy company rep come out and try and determine the problem, because outside of the windows she wasn't sure what else it could be. We also have A LOT of dust build up in our house, esp on all the window sill and blinds. She was thinking it was maybe due to the outside air being able to come through the small gaps.

They did try to calculate my NPP location. It was a little bit windy so they were having some trouble. It was between my first and second floor, so ~9-10' feet from the floor of the first floor, quite high! They did the test with the full combination of my HVAC units running and not running (1 on 1 off, both off, both on). The NPP seemed unaffected by either unit off or on. I think that's a good thing.

So hopefully the windows are the fix!! It seems so obvious now that I should have checked my windows more carefully, but I was so focused on the attic. Mother Nature needs to give me one more cold snap!

Thanks again for all of your help. I definitely wouldn't have been so prepared this go around if it wasn't for the input from all of you!!
    I kind of expected they would find something more than that but it does sound reasonable. You could try a quick fix with some of that removable caulking, forget the exact name but it's like sticky rope you just press on. The NPP is pretty much where I would expect but will probably lower when you seal the windows and improve the infiltration problem.

I hope it is it and all will be well now, let us know!

I told you I thought something was off! At least you're making progress. Sounds like you may need to replace those windows. Check the warranty. A window with a 1/8" gap when latched would not meet the fenestration requirements. You may be able to get replacement sashes without replacing the entire window. Close that gap and the NPP will drop. Wind dying down may make it drop, too depending upon how the wind was affecting your home at the time.

Double hung windows are the DEVIL!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thumb Gum removable rope caulking.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Here are some pics of the windows in case anyone else has this problem. I measured the gap and made shims out of 1x8. I'll probably replace the windows at some point. But if this works I'll probably hold out on replacing the windows for a while. I'll also probably put a bead of caulk around the shim to make it harder to notice the shim under the lock.

Name:  IMAG0192.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0193.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0195.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  35.2 KB

Double hung windows, at least the older ones, are way better than new windows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELsImfavqF0
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Double hung windows, at least the older ones, are way better than new windows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELsImfavqF0
    Good video and system but IMO some sealer [primer etc.] should have been applied to all that bare wood. Rot and warping are what I see kill wood windows.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678