Thread: How to find end of duct. Fog machine?

Post Likes

How to find end of duct. Fog machine?

Hi folks,
    I'm trying to locate the end of a duct that is disconnected from the unit in my attic (don't worry, there's no venting into the attic- it was previously sealed). The problem is the duct is buried under piles of blown-in cellulose insulation. Had an A/C professional crawl around for 1 hour trying to find it with no luck. I'm thinking of using a fog machine to blow in smoke through the vent and find it that way. Is that a good/bad idea? Any alternatives?

Note: Once I find the duct I'm going to hire a pro to replace it!

Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    No thoughts? Alright, I'm gonna bite the bullet and give it a try- it seems that fog machines are sometimes used for finding holes in ductwork, so I suppose this procedure might work.

Post Likes
    Fog machine should work.

Post Likes
    Not sure what to say......

Post Likes
    I would think you could start at the beginning (furnace) and follow to the end or the area the register is that's not connected?

Post Likes
    Hire a plumber with a TV snake.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Hire a plumber with a TV snake.
    Agree. I do this from time to time when can't see the duct. My company also does plumbing as well so just use one of the plumbers camera and go into the duct work and look for problems.

The thing with the camera is that you have to keep track of how much cable you run in feet wise and rember it's inside the ductwork so you can't see it from outside. So you could find the end but with out a locator (plumbers have also to locate the camera and line). You simply go over area where u think it might be and locator will sound alert when you get close to the camera .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in