Moving my return air register

Hi, I'm a homeowner with an HVAC related question. I have a 1250 sqft ranch style home with forced air AC. There is a single return air register located in the wall at floor level in the main hallway. The floor level register is linked to the attic flexible return duct by a rigid duct running vertically through a closet that used to contain the water heater (relocated to the garage). I'm remodeling my master bathroom and would like to extend my shower into the hall closet, but to do so, I would have to remove the rigid ductwork and move the return register. The easiest way to do so is to put a return register into hallway ceiling directly above it's current location in the middle of the hallway and connecting it to the existing return duct. My contractor thinks this is a good solution and would like to proceed, but I wanted to get other opinions about whether moving the register would adversely affect circulation and/or HVAC performance. Thoughts? Thanks!

Btw- San Jose Area, mostly heating I suppose, but not by much. I have 3" of 60 year old attic insulation, and no wall insulation.

Shouldn't be a problem, not the best way to do it, but its done all the

That should work okay, providing you know what the highest CFM will be & then size the filter area for 300-fpm velocity through it.

Two CFM per sq.ft. will work for the free-air-area (Ak); multiply that sf area by 1.36 to get the "physical" sf area; then convert that to sq.in., area of the filter media. Also, a 3-Ton at 1200-CFM / 300-fpm is 4-sf of free-air-area, or Ak.

Never worry about having too much filter area, it will not happen; having (so-called) too much filter area is always highly beneficial to efficient performance of the system.

Also, make the filter box "deep enough" so it won't be restricted...to only the much smaller circumference of the duct entry area. if the filter is too close to the duct entry area it will draw air 'primarily' through that duct entry circumference.

If it needs or requires two RA filter racks to get to 300-fpm, then install two...If it is feasibly practical; I'd probably size the RA ducting so the fpm velocity is within 500-fpm.

While you're doing it, do it RIGHT.