Graduating in May. Need Advice on what to expect in Job search for Nothern WV East Oh

I am graduating in May of this year with Associate of Applied Science from Hvac program, with Certificate in Industrial Maintenance, and Certificate for Appliance Repair.. Already have Universal EPA 608 license. I live in the Northern Panhandle Ohio Valley currently and was born and raised in the Morgantown WV, which I have been searching in those areas. The jobs that I have looked at are starting out at like $10/hr. I feel I should start out at a little better than that, considering the schooling I have amassed. Would kindly request any advice from those been there, done that. I am a mature graduate at 42 and hope to avoid some pitfalls with bad job selections. Thank you in advance everyone. I thoroughly enjoy reading the threads and hope to post more to obtain pro status.

Hi chimchim. I was in your shoes not long ago. I learned that experience means alot to an employer and tech school just backs up your experience with theory.

After I graduated HVAC/R tech school, the only job I could get was as an install helper for 10/hr. I learned quite a bit at this job, the lead tech I worked for was very knowledgeable and would explain anything that I asked. After working with him for almost a year, my lead tech would no longer tell me what to do, we just got to the job site and started working. If I started brazing and wiring the indoor unit, he would start on the outside unit, or vice versa. It was hard work with little pay, but what I learned at that job was just as important as anything I learned in tech school.

After working install for less than a year, I applied with a bigger company as a service tech and got the job. The service manager actually took me in the field and we went to service calls before I was officially hired. He wanted to see if I could read schematic logic and understand how a system operates, it's sequence, and how I trouble shoot a problem. The funny thing is, my install experience actually helped me trouble shoot a system that day.

So don't discount the helper position, think of it as your employer paying you to learn from one of his lead techs. You would be surprised how much you can learn in as little as 6 months.

Good luck dude

Quote Originally Posted by chimchim11101 View Post
    I am graduating in May of this year with Associate of Applied Science from Hvac program, with Certificate in Industrial Maintenance, and Certificate for Appliance Repair.. Already have Universal EPA 608 license. I live in the Northern Panhandle Ohio Valley currently and was born and raised in the Morgantown WV, which I have been searching in those areas. The jobs that I have looked at are starting out at like $10/hr. I feel I should start out at a little better than that, considering the schooling I have amassed. Would kindly request any advice from those been there, done that. I am a mature graduate at 42 and hope to avoid some pitfalls with bad job selections. Thank you in advance everyone. I thoroughly enjoy reading the threads and hope to post more to obtain pro status.

Awesome and appreciated advice Thermo. Thank you so much for the nugget of wisdom.

Since you have industrial maintenance schooling get your welders certificate and get into ind maintenace if you can at 42 attics get pretty crowded. Ind maintenance is a great field too.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I agree with Thermo. Employers are more concerned with work experience than schooling. Many people can pass book tests, but don't have a clue when they get in the field. Starting wage is just that, a starting wage. Once you prove yourself wages increase.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Just to add my $.02...
    I find that when you get started in this trade you have to start at the low wage just to show that you will show up everyday. Your schooling will mean almost nothing to an employer. It does not prove what you can actually do. It only shows that you can pass a test. But what I have found is that similar to Thermodynamics, if you want to move up in pay and responsibility you have to go to another company. I have found it very difficult to get raises that matched the cost of living increase and the only way to increase my income was to change employers. But that might just be the area that I live in.

I am not sure of the mind set of most employers in this trade. They think that you are happy being a tech or installer all your life. Really not their fault, most companies are not big enough so that you can move up to a higher position. But personally, I like to see my responsibility and contribution to the company that I work for continually increase. Guess I could never work in a factory.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Hello sir. My name is Craig and I'm an area team leader for the Trane commercial sales office in your area. We may be doing some hiring in the area in the near future. If you are interested email me at cw0682@gmail.com.
    Work smarter not harder.

Wow Thank you all. Love the info that I have recieved so far. Great to hear the life experiences(i.e wisdom)