Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can't screw up fast enough to make your boss money.

Take your time, fix it properly the first time.

Speed will come with practice and understanding of the equipment.

I used to work for a guy that valued speed exclusively and accuracy be darned. I fired that employer and found a place that valued accuracy in a timely fashion. Yes, they can both happen simultaneously but it takes time to get there, no matter what trade. Soak up what you can, where you can and with experience speed will increase.

Good Luck!

Ken

I too am in my first year as an apprentice, approaching 4 months now (work experience). And I know what you mean when it comes to the amount of learning required to succeed in this trade. For the first 1-1/2 months, I was mostly working in the shop, fixing commercial refrigeration units for resale. There were no time constraints, so it really gave me the opportunity to learn and understand the workflow at my own pace.

2 months in, I started working in the field with either the Boss/Owner or his top Tech. This is where I learned that there is fine line between getting the job done fast and doing the job right. "Be thorough in your workflow and do the job right, speed will come" was the advise drilled into my head during these outings. During this time, I was also able to see how long a particular job would take by the more experienced; and now that I occasionally go on service calls by myself, I could gauge whether or not I'm in the ballpark for time. Bottomline, take your time while getting the job done...no call-backs.

Depends a lot on how your day is going. On light days it's great to take the time to learn, on busy days work faster. The slow season is a great time to learn, PM's are good for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12