Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The guy showed up today! I re-emailed the shop and he called me back Whizzing with Asthma, he had forgotten. and by the looks of it he might have done me a favor now rebates are being offered that weren't about 10 days ago for the same stuff.
    I asked him if he's worked with Asbestos, answer is yes...... I felt sorry for the guy walking up and down stairs he was Whizzing real bad and couldn't get his breath, ( I have the same thing I know what its like its not fun he should be at home in bed)
    He's been in HVAC for 34 years and did a lot of changing out stuff with asbestos I told him to get look at for you know what.
    No manual J calculations... but he did take note of duct size Trunk size windows and asked about walls thickness and insulation.He also noted the main trunk was odd sized, and the return was to small. so he might be doing a manual J type of calculation without a blower door test and looking into air flow through vents and returns. I did ask about permits he said yes. (the city passed the old system why should they care now)
    Seems this place might be a bit to old school.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbg View Post
    The guy showed up today! I re-emailed the shop and he called me back Whizzing with Asthma, he had forgotten. and by the looks of it he might have done me a favor now rebates are being offered that weren't about 10 days ago for the same stuff.
    I asked him if he's worked with Asbestos, answer is yes...... I felt sorry for the guy walking up and down stairs he was Whizzing real bad and couldn't get his breath, ( I have the same thing I know what its like its not fun he should be at home in bed)
    He's been in HVAC for 34 years and did a lot of changing out stuff with asbestos I told him to get look at for you know what.
    No manual J calculations... but he did take note of duct size Trunk size windows and asked about walls thickness and insulation.He also noted the main trunk was odd sized, and the return was to small. so he might be doing a manual J type of calculation without a blower door test and looking into air flow through vents and returns. I did ask about permits he said yes. (the city passed the old system why should they care now)
    Seems this place might be a bit to old school.
    The city passed the old system and why should they care now. That's a new one for me. Why they should care, you should care and he should care is simple to make sure it's meets code. Who knows what code violations you might or might not have? Sounds like he is not the guy and or his company for you.

While I hate to hear about his health issues! It just seems to many negative variables going on and the install has not even been started. Did he even leave you a detailed estimate of the scope of the work? While he might have been in the business for 34 years both he and his company don't sound like who I would want to do work for anyone. No load cal., failure to apper when promised, no permits etc... Something just doesn't seem right with this guy and his company?

I do care:
    The system fails its first inspection when the house was built 21-22 years ago but the house passed final inspection there is no mention on the permits list stating it was ever approved. I'd have to assume the Final on the house it was passed but it don't say that.

As for him I was supposed to get a quote via e-mail yesterday it didn't come.
    Now I'm done with them. Looking for someone different.

As for the original system its never worked right. I think it has a lot to do with fresh air return and not enough of it. So a blower door test is something I'm looking for someone to ask me about doing.

you'll probably need permits for the change out. most hvac
    companies pull permits for the homeowner. or here in my area of La.

better off without the company that gave you the run around.
    find another company that is more customer & service oriented.

you should invest in duct testing in addition to the blower door testing.
    most do both. solving any duct/return & comfort issues should
    be addressed at time of hvac replacement.
    www.resnet.us lists energy raters in all states.
    we do duct testing as a standard with blower door.

Hey west monroe...are you sales or install or both?
    is is spring up there yet?

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Its funny you said that! I got a new quote from a different company about x dollars higher then the first lets just say he was hitting me at about 1/3 more. Without any calculations and this guys is pushy salesmen I told the guy no he came in a lot higher then the first quote call ended.
    He calls back about 2 min later asking why I said I hinted around about the ductwork and return being low and you didn't even bring up Manual J calculations, I wanted to see if he would. This place makes it money from moving boxes I take it. He got defensive and said he could do them at no extra cost but his schedule was dbl booked yesterday and he only do them if he had a signed contract, Problem is you'd be stuck with a set price.
    What they offered I could Diy it but I'm not doing that I'm paying someone to do the system right the first time, its not like I can't figure this stuff out. but bring in units leval them and hook up lines anyone can turn a wrench (Don't mean its right) I was depending on them to install the correct equipment to do the job correctly, I can't do that part. His motto is all equipment has problems its the installer that makes the difference, I'll agree 100% with that comment but he's shot his selfe in the foot with how he did a quote.
    NEXT:
    Why should a customer have to bring this stuff up? At least measure the vents and registers and do a blower door test, you can't expect to get Premium prices for 1/2 the job.
    His idea was a 2 stage blower at 95% eff variable speed and the same size compressor with a heater 10k btu more to fix the problem we have.
    I'm certain its the lack of return and the system can't breath. Also the main trunk is small and its a 2 story house. The system was never done right had it been it would have never froz up twice in the past 13 years I've owned it.
    I must be one of them guys that knows to much for a home owner for my own good.
    I was gonna pay cash but it looks like its gonna cost more then I figured in the first place. (This is one area you can apply the rule of thumb to general idea of price)
    I should go back to collage apparently dropping boxes using your level and routing a few lines pays good money. And I haven't had a job in 7 years. (Naw then you have to deal with ID10T's like me)

ya move on theres alot of co. out there who'd love to take on a new customer and treat them as such
    and for what its worth a 21 year old furnace wont have a standing pilot it must be alot older than you think

There's good contractors out there, you just havn't found him yet. You do get what you pay for, not saying the highest bid is always the best but it takes a lot of expensive equipment, highly paid technicians and lots of continued education to be on top of all the new technology and better installation practices that make these high efficiency systems work to their full potential.

I as a customer should not have to tell the contractor how to do his job.
    Its no wonder the people acrossed the street used them then talked about how much it cost, I can't say a dollar amt. but it was a lot in there book.
    I figure these guys get used to people that don't know anything and make em pay more then they should for the value as if they had done the whole job. I even told the guy If I have to pay more for the blower door test and inspection of the rest of the ducts when he called then he said thats included but only after I sign a contract.......... NOT A CHANCE BUSTER!
    I had a new car dealer try and get me to sign papers for a loan on a new car once that was blank..... I told them to call when the paper work was done and ready to be taken care of, my momma didn't raise no fools!

I don't do blower door test's for free, i will include it in the contract that if you purchase the equipment from my company i will waive the fee. I will give a free estimate but i will not give the customer my load calculation until AFTER they have signed the contract. The equipment alone to do a blower door/duct blaster test is an extremely large investment. Also it takes a couple hours to do the test. It's not like we are becoming millionaires out there our cost of equipment, materials, labor, trucks/vans, insurance, liscence, rent, lights, blah, blah, blah are not cheap.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Its no wonder the people acrossed the street used them then talked about how much it cost, I can't say a dollar amt. but it was a lot in there book.
    I figure these guys get used to people that don't know anything and make em pay more then they should for the value as if they had done the whole job. I even told the guy If I have to pay more for the blower door test and inspection of the rest of the ducts when he called then he said thats included but only after I sign a contract.......... NOT A CHANCE BUSTER!
    I had a new car dealer try and get me to sign papers for a loan on a new car once that was blank..... I told them to call when the paper work was done and ready to be taken care of, my momma didn't raise no fools!
    a lot of times in business when I perceive a customer as having an attitude I treat them accordingly, I think this is what you are suffering from from this contractor.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

keep calling you will find the right contractor ,just remember duct remodels are time consuming ,alot of contractors dont want to due them they want the money from the box change and move on .
    We really need change now

That's funny! I've found in many cases that any more than free is a lot in their book!

Mr Bob,
    Lot a dudes are just trying to make a buck, and most customers are just trying to save a buck, and sometimes the job isn't worth the trouble. I would call the local building department, find out what is required to permit. Usually it's a Manual J (block load)and a duct inspection affidavit. The reputable contractor will have no problem complying. The rest of special extras are on you... expect to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I don't do blower door test's for free, i will include it in the contract that if you purchase the equipment from my company i will waive the fee. I will give a free estimate but i will not give the customer my load calculation until AFTER they have signed the contract. The equipment alone to do a blower door/duct blaster test is an extremely large investment. Also it takes a couple hours to do the test. It's not like we are becoming millionaires out there our cost of equipment, materials, labor, trucks/vans, insurance, liscence, rent, lights, blah, blah, blah are not cheap.

I've never asked for anything Free! I might ask for A fair price, but not free!
    You don't have to tell me what tools cost I own about 5k to 10k worth myself and I'm not talking the cheep stuff I'm talking Snap On and so on. I don't like buying cheep tools most of them are only good for one use if that.
    If you installed a system at my house and you forgot your cordless drill I'd be on the phone tell you about it if I found it if its on top of ductwork keep in mind no one will see that for 50 years, you might put your tools on a leash or string even, drop one it won't even hit the floor. Tie them to your toolbelt. (Just for laughs tie your tool belt to your truck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast