I recently moved into a home that has a gas fireplace. This is the first time I have ever had a fireplace so I am uneducated on things. I have a few questions and was hoping someone would have an answer. Please see below:
1) When I turned it on the flame is very low. From all the burner holes the first 6 were lit very low and the last 4 no flames seeped through. I have the gas turned up all the way and since I am unfamiliar with fireplaces (never used one) I was wondering if there is something wrong with the pilot or does it need to be cleaned? Shouldn't the dial control how low/high the flame goes?
2) Do I have to buy a ceramic log to produce greater heat or is it just more for show? Will adding one help the flame level?
3) Do I need to get a glass screen since it's a gas fireplace? I was told by the inspector since it's gas the chimney is always open and I need to get a glass screen. However, I feel that every time I go to light the fireplace I would have to take the screen apart or move it.
Hoping someone can answer my questions.