Variable Chilled Water Flow conversion

Variable Chilled Water Flow conversion

Working with a chilled water system, two 60 Ton Trane units (Model 1: CGAFC604ALA1000000H0000000VW00) and want to vary the chilled water flow slowly. I am looking to see if anyone can recommend or suggest a flow rate range based on experience. The units have low ambient issues which are also being addressed.

EWM

N

Find out what the min GPM is before you mess with it.

I guess I should elaborate - Unit has a range of 72GPM min and 200GPM max. Trane says constant flow unit but, to me, 125gpm is a wide range considering the connected load. We are adding controls so varying evap flow can be tightly controlled. Changes might be limited to to seasons or drastic outside air changes.

Ed

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-03-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Can you be specific: what do you want to achieve and what problems do you have now?

I think those use a plate & frame heat exchanger. If you plan on running low flow rates, you better make sure you can gurantee minimum flow even with a dirty strainer or make sure you have good water treatment.

I agree, what are you trying to accomplish? Unless your rasing your return water temp, lowering flow won't improve effciency. At some point it should drop a little. Lowering flow will also make it slower to respond to any changes inload.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-03-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: non AOP member

DaPa

captain planet