ERV Exhaust / Intake Spacing

I am working with an architect for plans on a new home that I have asked to incude an ERV. Reading through specifications for the ERV I see a minimum spacing between the exterior vents for exhaust and intake of 10 feet. Current plans only allow about 3-4 feet of spacing between the vents. I inquired with the installer I thought I was going to use and he advised that 3 feet is plenty and that by oversizing the ERV we won't have any problems with cross contamination. I am afraid I am going to spend a lot of money to push air out one vent and suck it in another defeating the purpose of the ERV. Any thoughts / advice?

What part of the country is the home located in?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I've sold a few years ago and I remember the minimum spacing to be 6-8'. The 3-4' spacing better be confirmed with the ERV manufacture.

You better inquire your local inspector.
    The town I'm in requires us to follow the manufactures recommendations first, if not then the Mech code will apply instead.
    Which in the latter case I've never needed to check in because our ERV units are a listed unit.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    What part of the country is the home located in?
    Regards TB

Midwest, Indiana... Thanks for all the input.

We put in a lennox erv last month and there was no room for 2 vents , the manual had a single hole concentric vent kit. I dont have part # now but can get it.

Something else to keep I'm mind. Is this type of system needs to be properly balanced once it is installed so ensure that whichever company you hire to install it has someone on their staff that is mechanical venting certified. You do not want the system exhausting too much air because your house may then enter a state of negative pressure and you could have problems with "bad air" like products of combustion re-entering the house.

The 10ft between intake/exhaust is most likely used where the exhaust is potentially contaminated (ie. bathroom exhaust). 10ft separation is code (In canada) for this application. If it's general exhaust, not contamination then there is no mandated separation, but your IAQ will suffer the closer you have the two together due to increase in chance of cross contamination.

I hope the 3-4 Ft you have is not also going to be used for the rest of your venting as well...