Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    its a quote from bull murry in caddyshack
    Who's Bull Murry? Is that Bill Murry's taller bald brother?

Name:  bull.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  2.2 KB
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Ugh, I hate Zoysia. Like walking on a bed of tiny nails.

Zoysia is too thick. I like a grass that I can walk barefoot in and feel the blades between my toes. I don't want to feel like I'm walking on AstroTurf.
    Several different varieties of Zoysia grass. The "bed of tiny nails" one was probably Emerald Zoysia.
    Zeon Zoysia is a newer variety, thin bladed, and very lush.
    While it is very thick, which is why it is so good at choking out weed growth, if you cut it 1-2" high, instead of 1/2" like they do for golf greens, it doesn't feel like astro turf.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Several different varieties of Zoysia grass. The "bed of tiny nails" one was probably Emerald Zoysia.
    While it is very thick, which is why it is so good at choking out weed growth, if you cut it 1-2" high, instead of 1/2" like they do for golf greens, it doesn't feel like astro turf.
    cool

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

As usual, the details are where the truth is...

I have walked on different Zoysia lawns; some feel good and some do not. IMO some folks see it as a status symbol, however if it chokes out weeds that would be a BIG plus!

My yard is shady, low-light fescue is about all I can grow... I trimmed the trees back a bit this winter... may get a fuller lawn this summer.
    Would I trade the trees for a lawn... no. I like the shade in the summer. The back yard (driveway goes into the back) is 12-15 D cooler in the summer in the shade... than the street in front.
    Front yard has 6 trees (removed one), back yard has 22 (one died and fell). Used to be 7 and 23. No grass in the back, all ivy... I have a family of ferrel cats to keep down the rodents...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I did this this weekend. the tulips will prop up. I hope.

Name:  tulips.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  10.5 KB

I'm gonna work on the rose bushes and green bush next

I spent most of Saturday digging up the old roots from the 2 silver leaf maples that used to be in the yard.
    Not a fun project, but had to be done to level out part of the yard.

Next weekend I'll finish grading and rolling it, then will put the sod down in 2 weeks.
    I'm sure my neighbors will be happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    IMO some folks see it as a status symbol, however if it chokes out weeds that would be a BIG plus!
    The "status symbol" part may be because the sod costs more than twice as much as St. Augustine, and nearly 3x as much as some of the common Bermuda varieties.

In addition to its weed resistance, it is very disease and bug resistant, and requires a fraction of the water and fertilizer that St. Augustine or Bermuda do, it also loves heat, and is very drought tolerant.
    Zeon Zoysia also relatively slow growing, so less mowing is needed, but spreads fairly aggressively.

The main drawbacks are that it can't be seeded, and when it goes dormant it is the color of dead straw.

I spent most of Saturday digging up the old roots from the 2 silver leaf maples that used to be in the yard.
    Not a fun project, but had to be done to level out part of the yard.

Next weekend I'll finish grading and rolling it, then will put the sod down in 2 weeks.
    I'm sure my neighbors will be happy about that.

The "status symbol" part may be because the sod costs more than twice as much as St. Augustine, and nearly 3x as much as some of the common Bermuda varieties.

In addition to its weed resistance, it is very disease and bug resistant, and requires a fraction of the water and fertilizer that St. Augustine or Bermuda do, it also loves heat, and is very drought tolerant.
    Zeon Zoysia also relatively slow growing, so less mowing is needed, but spreads fairly aggressively.

The main drawbacks are that it can't be seeded, and when it goes dormant it is the color of dead straw.
    Have some customers with Zoysia lawns... They do not look that good in the winter.

I may get another bag of low light Fescue and seed again. With the tree limbs thinned out... there just might be enough light to grow a nice lawn. Then I will have to cut and take care of it... both side neighbors do not... so I will show them up...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Sod's in!

Rain last week prevented them from being able to harvest it in time to deliver it Friday, so I played hooky from work, hired a laborer, and got it done today.
    Still soaking it down so I can hit it with the roller before it gets to dark to see.
    Rain is forecast for 2 of the next 3 days, so plenty of free water to help get it established.

Nice, just layed a few patches of sod myself this weekend, we are getting ready to rent our house out so I am trying to get it into shape! What do you use to cut the sod, funny I use a Malco serrated duct knife works great !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks good Mark. Be sure to post some more shots later on.
    Good to get the Silver leafs out before the roots caused you problems.

Quote Originally Posted by crstephens83 View Post
    What do you use to cut the sod, funny I use a Malco serrated duct knife works great !
    I used a Basco duct knife, so basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Good to get the Silver leafs out before the roots caused you problems.
    Well, black fungal rot kind of did them in. Mother Nature swatted one over in a thunderstorm, and I cut the other out before it followed suit.
    I ended up digging up all of the roots that were within a foot or so of the surface a couple weeks ago, NOT fun.

funny, one of my supply house managers told me about it!

you'll be mowing before you know it ! Good work and glad your doing it not me..I just mow over the weeds and go on , but I don't live in the city either.
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast