Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manual J is a Fake

Manual J is a Fake

Since we can’t actually do a Manual J on an old house because we don’t know the inputs like ACH, Duct Loss, etc, we just use guesses that make the loads come out the way we want. On a 2400 sq ft house, anyone can create a set of guesses to give you every size ac unit there is.

Since the HVAC Guy” does not have the Blower Door, Duct Blaster, Smoke Bombs, X-ray vision glasses, or economic models that require truing up like the Home Performance professional does, he simply makes the numbers up by doing a song and dance.

The Manuel J Macarena

Start with your hands on your hips:

Determine duct loss by turning your palms up and look at the ceiling for divine inspiration.

Calculate Air Changes by flinging blades of grass in the air like Tiger Woods before hitting a 5 iron.

Sling your Psychrometer and Shake your Money Maker!

Establish insulation with the X-Vision dance move using your fingers like John Travolta dancing on heroin with Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

Now Grab your butt and pull out the phony HVAC performance metrics

Finally, goose your savings at 10% a year over the like of the system, add them all up, average them back to this year, and shake your booty!

Try It: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NKiHvHiOxA

You guys are so funny, pretending to calculate something,

TG

START with your Hands on the Keyboard.

Send me your fuel uses over the last 24 months, your location, age of house, overall house dimensions and the total window area
    (/ photos of each side of your house exterior or number of windows).

I'll know heat loss [ +/-12% ] by performing the HVAC numbers wiggle.
    It will only take ~ 3 hours.

Do you need an unbiased equipment selection?

Like I say, it's science + experience (a.k.a. 'art' ).

If you wish to understand some of the science, a copy of ASHRAE Fundamentals is available
    ( if you don't wish to pursue the ACCA Manual J methodology).

Start with: Q= A * dT /R

Knovel account # needed
    http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/bro...AY_bookid=2554
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 03-17-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

TaxGirl,
    - - - Are U an Energy Rater?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

No, taxgirl is someone trying to sell their own product.....Its not a girl and its just BS. Business must be slow and this poster has been on under different names for a long time.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Phil. Are you trolling. Trying to push your wares. Please buy advertising.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hey taxgirl, you are quite the genius! Somehow you've managed to "copy and paste" an entire article that Allison Bailes of www.energyvanguard.com wrote and pass it off as your own. I'm sure he'd be pleased to know that lazy fans of his are stealing his work.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-18-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Well now lessee...

I wake up feeling kinda puny... as the day progresses I realize I have a sore throat, a cough, mucous in my throat, a runny nose, and a fever.

So I go to the Doc... they look at this and that, take a few 'vital signs', listen to my chest gurgle, look in my throat and ears...

Then they prescribe an antibiotic.

So tell me:

Is the Doc any more 'scientific' in their GUESS than the heat and air guy with their GUESS?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Phil. Are you trolling. Trying to push your wares. Please buy advertising.
    LOL I think you nailed him!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Well now lessee...

I wake up feeling kinda puny... as the day progresses I realize I have a sore throat, a cough, mucous in my throat, a runny nose, and a fever.

So I go to the Doc... they look at this and that, take a few 'vital signs', listen to my chest gurgle, look in my throat and ears...

Then they prescribe an antibiotic.

So tell me:

Is the Doc any more 'scientific' in their GUESS than the heat and air guy with their GUESS?
    HVAC techs are much better at Customer Service than Doctors ... They Always Make House Calls.
    Designer Dan

Do you believe in Magic?

Manual J is just 6 guesses instead of one!

To think a Manual J has any value on an old house you have to be incredibly naive, or believe in Magic.

You can’t actually do a Manual J on an old house because you don’t know the inputs so we just guesses that make the loads come out the way we want. On a 2400 sq ft house, you can create a set of guesses to give you every size ac unit there is.

Since the HVAC Guy” does not have the Blower Door, Duct Blaster, Smoke Bombs, X-ray vision glasses, or economic models that require truing up, he simply makes the numbers up by doing a song and dance.

The Manuel J Macarena

Start with your hands on your hips:

Determine duct loss by turning your palms up and look at the ceiling for divine inspiration.

Calculate Air Changes by flinging blades of grass in the air like Tiger Woods before hitting a 5 iron.

Sling your Psychrometer and Shake your Money Maker!

Establish insulation with the X-Vision dance move using your fingers like John Travolta dancing on heroin with Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

Now Grab your butt and pull out the phony HVAC performance metrics

Finally, goose your savings at 10% a year over the like of the system, add them all up, average them back to this year, and shake your booty!

Try It: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NKiHvHiOxA

You guys are so silly.

I love this business!

If everything was perfect there would be no need for us.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Hmmm ....... Spam and Eggs for breakfast.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast