Trane chiller oil return line iceing up.

I Have 2 Trane chillers, 600 tons each. One is not returning any oil from evaporator, and the other is returning oil, but the line is freezing up all the way to the filter. I raised the pressure in the one not returning the oil, and still it didn't push the oil up to the tank. These are 123a machines serving a courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd5 View Post
    I Have 2 Trane chillers, 600 tons each. One is not returning any oil from evaporator, and the other is returning oil, but the line is freezing up all the way to the filter. I raised the pressure in the one not returning the oil, and still it didn't push the oil up to the tank. These are 123a machines serving a courthouse.
    The one not returning oil is probably low on refrigerant or the load is so low that whatever type of chiller you have isn't generating enough lift to pull the oil with the refrigerant. We really can't give you more than an assumption on the questions you have.

The one with the frosting line could be an overcharge or a restriction in the line. Again, tough to tell from this side of the screen.

It sounds like you really need a company that is willing to spend some time making your equipment run the way it is soposed to.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

It is not abnormal to see the active oil return line sweat, or even frost. I have even seen golfball sized chunks of ice form there. That tee looking fitting is an "eductor". It uses refrigerant gas flow from the condenser thru the eductor, to the oil sump, to create a low pressure in the branch line that comes from the evaporator. Liquid refrigerant, possibly with oil, flows thru the branch line. On most models of this chiller, there is an angle valve in this line. It is sometimes left closed on machines that have sufficient oil return without using the active oil return. If the valve is shut the line will be warm. If by "I raised the pressure" you mean you raised the oil pressure, that would not address this (non)issue. You, or your service provider should return it to proper adjustment.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-19-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: non AOP member

sajidsgn

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.