Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 22 of 22
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Absolutely!

    Of course, it's a different thing to test from the shaft to a SINGLE point on the tool handle than it is to energize the shaft of the tool and wrap a big, sweaty palm around it.
    Say you wanted to use this fine product above in lue of costly voltage rated tools, what kind of megaohm reading would be comparable? Could ohms law help you figure this? Im not seeing it.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    199
    Well luckly Im not doing any type of electrical tool lol.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,863
    Sorry lol

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Say you wanted to use this fine product above in lue of costly voltage rated tools, what kind of megaohm reading would be comparable? Could ohms law help you figure this? Im not seeing it.

    I think that you missed my point entirely.

    You could use a meter to read through the handle coating, but you'd never get an "entire" reading. You could easily miss a crack, flaw or void in the coating that would then potentially result in a shock when using the tool on live circuits.

    Buy the proper tools.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I think that you missed my point entirely.

    You could use a meter to read through the handle coating, but you'd never get an "entire" reading. You could easily miss a crack, flaw or void in the coating that would then potentially result in a shock when using the tool on live circuits.

    Buy the proper tools.
    Advice heeded.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,568
    I have used auto heater hose and clear poly or plastic tubing, also used heat shrink on handles. Not pretty but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I think that you missed my point entirely.

    You could use a meter to read through the handle coating, but you'd never get an "entire" reading. You could easily miss a crack, flaw or void in the coating that would then potentially result in a shock when using the tool on live circuits.

    Buy the proper tools.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,933
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I have used auto heater hose and clear poly or plastic tubing, also used heat shrink on handles. Not pretty but it works.

    I've wrapped them with black tape, too.

    Whatever it takes to get the job done.

    That said, it is better to have the proper tools to do the job than to try to fool around.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    199
    I used the plastic dip stuff. It worked pretty good. Did 2 coats probbly should have done 3 but for what im going to be using it for I think it will be much better then what it was.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    I know a few guys that have coated the grills on there jeeps with plasti dip and after a couple years of getting pelted with rocks and pressure washed they have held up well. In regards to making a tool electrically safe, I wouldn't trust it. If you have to work with live power you should always wear the properly rated electrical safety glove and test them before each use but that's my electrical and safety background talking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event