Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    235
    Post Likes

    Tool handle coating?

    Hey guys im looking to see if any one has any ideas on how I could coat the handle of an adjustable wrench that I just bought? Im looking to make just add a rubber grip or dip it into something that would hold up good? Any advice would be great

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Post Likes
    You can buy it at Home Despot, comes in several colors.

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Performix...3#.UUYjhVfRy1w
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    676
    Post Likes
    X2. I've also seen the dip in the Harbor Freight stores.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,869
    Post Likes
    LOWES has it as well

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Likes
    Sounds good. I wander how they can claim to insulated against electrical shock when even kleins handles state that they are not? Ive always thought of kleins as made for electricians.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    198
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Sounds good. I wander how they can claim to insulated against electrical shock when even kleins handles state that they are not? Ive always thought of kleins as made for electricians.
    I'm sure it's a liability thing, and also maybe a way to coerce you into buying the "voltage-rated" tools (way more expensive). The Plasti-Dip folks can say that a layer of their product insulates (any rubber/vinyl coating does), but since the user applies the product, he is responsible for the correct application and suitability for a particular use - thus letting them off the hook.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DDC_Dan View Post
    I'm sure it's a liability thing, and also maybe a way to coerce you into buying the "voltage-rated" tools (way more expensive). The Plasti-Dip folks can say that a layer of their product insulates (any rubber/vinyl coating does), but since the user applies the product, he is responsible for the correct application and suitability for a particular use - thus letting them off the hook.....
    Yea that sounds about right.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    946
    Post Likes
    I saw a sparky work on 600V live with normal klein pliers. Any thing over 120V I turn off the breaker.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    I saw a sparky work on 600V live with normal klein pliers. Any thing over 120V I turn off the breaker.....
    I have used kleins to watch how far the arc will carry on oil burners, I think around 10000/8000V though the A potential is next to nothing I hear. Would a better safetey rating for tools be a VA rating?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    676
    Post Likes
    Agreed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Likes
    Second thought, voltage could sum up a tools rating as it is not made to carrey current. Could a megger accuratly test a tool/boot for its insulation rating?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    676
    Post Likes
    hmm....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,227
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Second thought, voltage could sum up a tools rating as it is not made to carrey current. Could a megger accuratly test a tool/boot for its insulation rating?
    Absolutely!

    Of course, it's a different thing to test from the shaft to a SINGLE point on the tool handle than it is to energize the shaft of the tool and wrap a big, sweaty palm around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech365 Virtual Event