Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how common is rusting accumulators?

I was wondering whether you guys see rusting accumulators as a common problem that causes a tech to condemn the outdoor unit on heat pumps?

It appears that sweating on a suction gas accumulator would cause rust, and possibly give out before a compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    I was wondering whether you guys see rusting accumulators as a common problem that causes a tech to condemn the outdoor unit on heat pumps?

It appears that sweating on a suction gas accumulator would cause rust, and possibly give out before a compressor.
    Not picking on Carrier here but if I had a 10 bucks for every Carrier accumulator I changed out in the past I could probably take a nice cruise.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I can't say I've seen a lot of them rust from the condensation, but have noticed that the majority I've seen fail were due to the drain holes in the bottom of the outdoor unit being clogged and the water never drains out, causing the accumulator to sit in a puddle of water most of it's life.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

don't do any heat pumps but i have cut a load of rusted out accumulaters out of carrier a/c units. none of them were low enough in the unit to sit in water.

sweaty steel will always rust.

u guys seem to get excited poking fun at Carrier

I would think manufacturers would coat the accumulator with a tough rust preventitive to prevent rusting from occuring when it sweats -- apparently big blue falls behind on this one.

I hate to pile on here, but other than a few units that had like a foot of accumulated leaves in them that had been there so long that they were breaking down into nice mulch, the ONLY units I have ever found a rusted out leaking accumulator on is Carrier....

I like heat pumps that use a TXV for the outdoor metering device. No accumulator needed. Trane and Lennox have been like that for many years, but I have been seeing more other brands go that rout in recent years.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

In S.W Florida I think the majority of the rusted out accumulators I have seen came from york equipment, although I have seen carrier as well. Not to mention the condenser coils falling apart constantly on the yorks.

clarification Mark

Mark,

Do you mean that the trend is to have fixed-bore metering and accumulators on outdoor units, rather than TXV metering?

thanks

I like heat pumps that use a TXV for the outdoor metering device. No accumulator needed. Trane and Lennox have been like that for many years, but I have been seeing more other brands go that rout in recent years.[/QUOTE]

Thumbs down Rusty

Carrier isn't the only one with rusty accumulators:
    Goodman
    Coleman
    Arcoaire
    Tempstar
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    Mark,

Do you mean that the trend is to have fixed-bore metering and accumulators on outdoor units, rather than TXV metering?
    No, I have seen more different brands with a TXV in the outdoor unit and no accumulator, on some models, than I remember seeing in the past.

Of course there are the brands that think its ok to leave the accumulator out with fixed metering just because they now use a scroll compressor.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The vast majority of the ones I have changed out seamed to be caused from dirt building up underneath. I think the dirt holds moisture and causes the bottom to rust out.

i agree, carrier and goodman tanks go bad often. unless the unit is 8 yrs or older or has a bad coil, we typically do not condemn the unit. we replace the tank, pull hard vacuum, check for additional leaks, add a filter dryer and recharge the system

Rust???

This is common on heat pumps. They do sweat, ya know. That makes them rust...
    "It's what you do when you don't have to that makes the difference when it counts."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast