+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Topping off with R22 alternative....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by miamicooling View Post
    the stuff is cheap and is very flammable..be careful!
    thanks for the reply...but I don't think personal web page links are allowed here
    Last edited by Special-K; 03-21-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Remove links

Post Likes
    Miami cooling What is the refrigerant your using for a replacement.

Post Likes
    This isn't about topping off R22, but it does pertain to the side discussion about recovering R22 mixed with another refrigerant.

While I'm no fan of leak sealers, I found that NuCalgon's Easy Seal uses 2 oz of a hyrocarbon as a propellant, so it may result in a failed recovered refrigerant ID test.

BTW...Cliplight's Superseal doesn't use a propellant.

http://johnstonesupply9.com/docs/EAS...20NUCALGON.pdf

Post Likes
    r22a is explosive I don't think I would use that on anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    You're twisting my meaning.
    Pot = Kettle

Enjoying being on the other end this time...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes

Don't Forget

Will the manufacturer warrantee the compressor with that replacement refrigerant?

Not sure if they care though, they don't even want them back any more. Just give them the Serial # and they get you a new one.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Topping off as in mixing the refrigerant? Hell I've never knew of any refrigerant we could mix in the field but some of the old dogs may know otherwise.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Manufacturers said not to top 12 with hot shot. Been doing it for years with no problems. Have not used any of the 22 alts but as soon as the boss buys me a jug I'm gonna try it on my old package unit. They us a different oil but if it ducked it up I can scrap it so its win win.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 7011tech View Post
    Manufacturers said not to top 12 with hot shot. Been doing it for years with no problems. Have not used any of the 22 alts but as soon as the boss buys me a jug I'm gonna try it on my old package unit. They us a different oil but if it ducked it up I can scrap it so its win win.
    Yeah, it's a win/win for you, since you don't give a crap about rules or laws or correct procedure or anything. As mentioned earlier, though, it is not a win for that guy that follows behind you and gets to pay the charge for turning in the garbage mixture that you created.

Post Likes
    Im going to be using dupont iceon mo99 (R438A) for retrofitting systems that have mineral oil. It has the lowest capacity loss of all of them aprox 5 to 10%. I will also be buying United refrigerations own private brand Thermal Zone condensing units, which is basiclly a rheem product. They are offering those units with polyoester oil. So I can then use R407c as my refrigerant. It is the closest to R22 with the least capacity loss.

Also what will be the going rate this season for R22?
    We will be charging $70.00 per pound.

Post Likes
    let me see if I have this right ,the 22 manufacturers probably are selling 22 jugs to dist for maybe 250 the dist sell it to us for about 500 we sell a jug to our customers for about 2000,wow no wonder nobody trusts us.

Post Likes
    POE oil is compatible with all refrigerants, so you should be ok there.

Post Likes
    I am looking for a cheaper alternative as well. I just have a problem with paying 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a cylinder of R-22. As far as selling new R-410 units goes. We've been doing that as well, But we've had a fairly large call back rate on those units. Mostly all leaks and when we finally find them they usually wind up being the evap coil. It does seem fairly limited to package units for some reason though. We put a new gas pack in for a lady about this time of year in 2010. It didn't even make it through the first season before we were back out there looking for a leak. Finally found the leak and replaced the evap coil under warranty in the fall of 2011. We had to go back out there a couple of weeks ago and charge it up again. She's probably got over $1000.00 just in labor and gas since we installed it. How are we supposed to sell that to a widow on a fixed income?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allniter728 View Post
    let me see if I have this right ,the 22 manufacturers probably are selling 22 jugs to dist for maybe 250 the dist sell it to us for about 500 we sell a jug to our customers for about 2000,wow no wonder nobody trusts us.
    Should'a gone in on a few skids of 22 a couple years back...but some guys were just hoping the phase out would go away and the price would come down.

Now everybody is paying the price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in