Thread: HELP!

HELP!

Hello,

I live in NC and the summers here do get pretty hot (like 100 +) in the summer. We purchased a new home Nov 2011. It is 3500 square feet evenly split between top and bottom floors (no big open lofts or anything). There are 2 HVAC units, one for up and one for down-each floor has 2 air returns. I don't know all the details about them, but they are Carrier brand 58sta/stx. Both appear to be the same size.

Now, since we purchased the home our upstairs has never been able to cool down. (not even if it is only 75 degrees outside) The air coming out of the vents is like... a little cooler than a fan and will not lower the temperature at all in the upstairs.... We had a one year warranty on our air conditioner and it has now run out. I have had two companies come out to our home a total of 11 times. Yes, 11 times. Every time they come the fluid is entirely gone or almost gone, so they have always just refilled the fluid and "stopped leaks". The 2nd to last time we had someone come out our builder actually called anther company- This company said the whole unit needed to be ripped out (something about a compressor not condensing or something), so the original company that installed came out and replaced the whole unit.... IT STILL DOESN'T WORK UPSTAIRS!!! I am at wits end and now that our warranty is out I really don't know what to do. I don't want to pay $ or more for every one of these fixes that doesn't work... Also, just a note- The only time our airconditioner worked after a fix was when one of the guys put in "way too much" freon; it was awesome, but very temporary. Could there be a leak they are not finding... like in our walls or something?? With how things are going, I could see spending $+ and still not having a working air conditioner, lol- any ideas as to what the problem could be??
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-17-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: prices

Lost the refrigerant 11 times in a year isn't a tiny leak . Wouldn't be the first time siding guys or drywallers punctured a line in the walls. Recovering all the refrigerant then isolating the indoor coil,line sets and AC is one test. They'll put 200-250 lbs of nitrogen pressure in each section and see which component leaks.

I know the problem.
    You have a leak that needs to be located and repaired.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

just where is it 100+ on a consistent basis in NC?

it feels like a 100+ in a lot of locales.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Any idea why they weren't finding this before?? Are there different types of leak tests? I just want to know exactly what to tell them to make sure we don't get another "band aid fix"... because they have claimed to have "fixed a leak" a few times, but it has never worked.

Just south of Charlotte, we are on the border of SC, but yeah in the summer it can get over 100. Not every day, but the weather here is really weird it comes and goes in spurts!

Reply #2 from Marty is what I would ask them to do.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

After 11 visits and the problem still is not resolved.... I would not consider the warrentee at an end. they never fixed it in the first place.
    If the contractor does not agree they ask him if he would rather speak with the contractor licencing peopple or perhaps the Attorny Generals Consiumer Affairs people instead
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

need to find and fix the leak also if it worked great only when overcharged mabee they dont know how to properly charge a unit . ask your builder to get you a different contractor as your current one has no clue . its pretty stupid to fill a system 11 times with refrigerant .if it was me doing the job after i was certain that all leaks were repaired i would pressure test the system for 24 hours at 400 psi with nitrogen then vacuum and recharge
    We really need change now

Thanks everyone! Great advice, I called the builders warranty guy and left a message- when he gets back to me I'll post an update... Curious to see what he's going to say, but yes I do feel since it was never fixed in the history of us purchasing the house we shouldn't be "out of warranty" with no coverage on this issue... Also, I am going to ask them to:

1.) "Recovering all the refrigerant then isolating the indoor coil,line sets and AC is one test. They'll put 200-250 lbs of nitrogen pressure in each section and see which component leaks."
    2.)"after i was certain that all leaks were repaired i would pressure test the system for 24 hours at 400 psi with nitrogen then vacuum and recharge"

WOW; That is a ridiculous scenario...no way should that situation be happening.

A good electronic leak detector ought to help locate leaks in the wall areas.
    It is not good to breathe heavy concentrations of refrigerant!

How difficult would it be to expose most of the refrigerant lines that are in the wall areas where leaks may be detected?

If there are alternate good ways to run the lines, that might be a possible solution rather than tearing open wall areas...?