Thread: service call

i'm working on the post count i thought the info on that said 30 posts

i was surprised the supply house didn't add a fee

Quote Originally Posted by njtinman View Post
    i'm working on the post count i thought the info on that said 30 posts
    It is 30. Don't ask me why I said 50.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

and the house is in a neighborhood that i want to get into. the houses are of the age that the furnaces are going to start to need replacing

Remember, if you skip OT charges on one, then the rest will expect the same when they found out.
    Contractor locator map

good point i knew there was a reason to ask on this

Yeah, its the little things that can trip you, and come back and bite you in the butt.
    Contractor locator map

We have outfits here that advertise 'no overtime charges ever'. Thing is, if you call them at 2am they have their answer service read a script that says 'we are experiencing a high level of calls tonight, and may not be able to get to you for another 6 hours!'
    They also charge a higher diagnostic than most, or want you to join their maintenance club before they will come out.

I believe most customers are reasonable about maybe taking a couple of hours off work to meet you during 'regular' hours. If you don't charge a little extra, what is there to stop them calling you when they get home from work or just working you into their schedule?

Let's face it, a little old lady or family with young kids and no heat is an emergency, a lot of other calls are not.
    LN

How many of you actually charge by the hour?

Myself and every company around here have flat rate tier pricing that never changes no matter what time of the day. Customers don't seem to like hourly because they feel if you are taking awhile for a repair its to make more money.

That being said i rarely run calls at night (past 8 pm) or sunday and that has yet to be an issue for my customers. I just simply tell them that those times are for family and they understand. i feel that the customers that have to have you right away because its the end of the world are more trouble than its worth in the end. Special excptions are made for young kids and little ol ladies though.

Quote Originally Posted by larnot View Post
    We have outfits here that advertise 'no overtime charges ever'. Thing is, if you call them at 2am they have their answer service read a script that says 'we are experiencing a high level of calls tonight, and may not be able to get to you for another 6 hours!'
    They also charge a higher diagnostic than most, or want you to join their maintenance club before they will come out.

I believe most customers are reasonable about maybe taking a couple of hours off work to meet you during 'regular' hours. If you don't charge a little extra, what is there to stop them calling you when they get home from work or just working you into their schedule?

Let's face it, a little old lady or family with young kids and no heat is an emergency, a lot of other calls are not.
    I was called out on a weekend because a couple had an A/C down and needed it done now. The thing that got me is they have 6 other units in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    I was called out on a weekend because a couple had an A/C down and needed it done now. The thing that got me is they have 6 other units in the house.
    like the one lady..ac hadnt worked since wed. and its 9pm sat night...of course she couldnt wait till sun am..thats when she needed it,guests coming over...oh yea-at that time the co had a NO ot service call policy.. had to recharge the unit cause on a clean n check on monday-our guy lost schrader cap..which was the leak

"The heat has been running non-stop since this morning but I didn't figure I would call until now at 9PM because suddenly I am afraid the house will burn down can you come now please?"

I had one at 2 am, the guys all "I'm freezing my ass of you need to come now" so I get there and it's 75, stat set at 80, his gas fireplace screaming. Wtf, I didn't have the part I needed to top it off.,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast