Can you believe this didn't leak at all?

Name:  2013-03-15 09.20.48.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  41.7 KBName:  2013-03-15 09.20.42.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  37.1 KB

Just had this removed and replaced with a 2 ton Heil split system.....

It was still functioning, although not as efficient or effective
    18 year old Rheem system......

Not uncommon for the press sheet to look like that, and the copper be in good shape and not leaking.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Those Multiflex coils were tanks. Almost NEVER leaked, except in horizontal position it seemed.

On the other hand, they're a pain to clean unless you remove them entirely.
    WHY?

seems like the older equipment is good to go! some of theses units that are 10-15 years old and dont have a leak nor a bunch of problems, and the customer doesnt do much or no PM on the equipment. I have seen worse coils than that with no leaks, then we jump 15 years and I see new coils that dump 10 lbs of refer with in a year from start up.

Seems to me if it's old and still running leave it be. The new or replacement stuff we get today just does not last very long at all. Replaced some blower motors on room units 3 years ago and had to go back and replace them already. Sucks a company like emerson got bought out by A.O. Smith. (cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by Abrnth3 View Post
    Seems to me if it's old and still running leave it be. The new or replacement stuff we get today just does not last very long at all. Replaced some blower motors on room units 3 years ago and had to go back and replace them already. Sucks a company like emerson got bought out by A.O. Smith. (cheap)
    The old unit was simply not able to keep up with the summer heat anymore, the blower was not working well, and there were some electrical issues coming up with the condenser, it was definitely time to retire the old unit. The new unit, has been installed much better than the old one was, and is providing a much higher level of comfort. Here's hoping I can manage at least 18 years from the new one, with less service calls for repair needed along the way.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Abrnth3 View Post
    A.O. Smith bought Emerson I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by wmunn View Post
    The old unit was simply not able to keep up with the summer heat anymore, the blower was not working well, and there were some electrical issues coming up with the condenser, it was definitely time to retire the old unit. The new unit, has been installed much better than the old one was, and is providing a much higher level of comfort. Here's hoping I can manage at least 18 years from the new one, with less service calls for repair needed along the way.
    perfect reason for a service plan with cleaning and preventive maintenance.
    only reason it would not be able to handle the load is if it was undersized, or if if was dirty.
    properly sized equipment will not handle a load if the ductwork is leaky also...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman