Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ice on the floor

i have been doing this a while and still haven't found a quick/easy way to get ice off the floor/shelves/product boxes ect. when you find a condensate pan that has been overflowing for a few days in a walk in freezer. I've used shop vacs with torches, hammers, mauls, shovels, electric chippers, chiseles, salt/calcium pellets, and every one turns into a major pain. I just spent over a full day in a 10 x 10 walk in freezer that had ice 4" thick at the back wall to a thin layer at the other end. The product and shelves needed cleared off as did the wall. One of the other techs at our shop spent two days with a helper at a store a few months ago, he said "dress warm, take lots of short breaks to stay warm, and get a helper." None of our customers are able to shut the freezer down while this is done because at best the box is about half full or more. I also have an account that has frozen grease/dirt from tow motors on in the active lanes of thier freezer that has been there so long it looks worse than an old drag strip.

The easiest way I've found is to walk away... And let it evaporate over months or years...

Guess I've never been ask to remove the ice. Always told the customer that its there problem. Pretty sure none of them would want to my labor rate to chip ice.

But if I had to do it, I would say use a 3 pound hammer and a screwdriver or chisel

Hammer for the big chunks, the boxes will be used eventually, and the rest will sublimate over time...

No good way. Can't turn the freezer off is a crock. They may not want too but can't is a no go for me. If the comp locks up guess what. The freezer is off. If they won't let you shut it down clear the drain and leave the ice for them to deal with. If their product is so critical that it will thaw out and be lost in 4-5 hrs, over half of that time still below 0, then they should have a stand by freezer rite next to it.

It doesn't solve the problem but leaning on the pen when you write up the bill will help a little next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    . Pretty sure none of them would want to my labor rate to chip ice.

Agreed. If they ask, my response is "I'd be more than happy for you to pay me to remove the ice" No one has ever taken me up on the offer.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Had a small walkin freezer that had froze up so bad it took out the evap fan blades and motors. The biggest problem was the freezer was packed so full the door couldn't close. The shelves were empty at the back but too many frozen donuts were piled in the doorway to get to them. 240 mile round trip to see this so a lonngg explanation about freezer loading helped in the labour end of the bill.

If it is just on the floor, let the walk-in reach temperature, then break it up and sweep it up.

If the ice is soft and warm, it will be wet and sticky. At 0 to -10, ice is nice and dry.

According to the Montreal Protocol, you can melt ice burgs with R-12, of course when I tried it prior to 1993 it only cooled off the Coke. Seriously, however, I find the best way to melt the large amounts of ice from walk ins involves the most junior cook and a heat gun. Once the junior cook has warmed the edges it is usually engh to pick up the piece and throw it into the sink with hot water. On a few units the discharge gas can be sent straight to the evap, like a heat pump only manually done. These often get warm enough to melt the drain at the evap.

tell them the freezer isn't even going to freeze stuff with that much of ice at the coil, it's not even freezing at this point. If you really can't turn it off, what i would do is chisel off the big chunks, try to get the small chunks out as much as possible, then just burn the **** outta the coil

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    The easiest way I've found is to walk away... And let it evaporate over months or years...

Guess I've never been ask to remove the ice. Always told the customer that its there problem. Pretty sure none of them would want to my labor rate to chip ice.

But if I had to do it, I would say use a 3 pound hammer and a screwdriver or chisel
    Dchappa may have the right idea. With proper defrost and fan control, the frost can sublimate, going directly from ice to vapor without actually melting. It will reclaim the cold of the ice to refrigerate the box at the same time.

Attachment 368261
    In an infinite universe, not only are all things possible, all things are necessary

Here's the after picture of the same job.
    Name:  after.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  36.7 KB
    In an infinite universe, not only are all things possible, all things are necessary

Nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast