Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your input on new employees

Alright so my question is do you think its okay for your company to hire someone with no experience in the field other than a willingness to learn and grow, and for your company to put that person in any position other than install helper/trainee. Even though said employee does online "training" and shows an interest in service/maintenance, and the boss thinks he'll be able to sell, keep in mind that said employee might not even know exact sequence of operation of a furnace.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Just thought o would add that I'm not "said employee" I'm the lead installer looking to progress to strictly service

Some companies will hire them as salestechs. They want them more for thier sales skills than technical.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Some companies will hire them as salestechs. They want them more for thier sales skills than technical.
    X2. The biggest five companies here use this technique and i know this because i was one of them 6 years ago. I was specifically hired because of my sales skills more than tech skills. Thats why they are now called selling techs not just techs. Most companies here are going this route because technicians carry more leverage and trust with homeowners than just sales guys do. Its actually pretty scary the recommendations i am seeing with this new breed of techs working on 100% commission. They will do anything to make a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Alright so my question is do you think its okay for your company to hire someone with no experience in the field other than a willingness to learn and grow, and for your company to put that person in any position other than install helper/trainee. Even though said employee does online "training" and shows an interest in service/maintenance, and the boss thinks he'll be able to sell, keep in mind that said employee might not even know exact sequence of operation of a furnace.

If the person is showing the desire to become a true service technician then I don't see a problem with it, though I'd at least give him some ride around time with an experienced Tech before throwing him to the wolves(because being thrown to the wolves unprepared is how hacks are born). Optimum situation would be for one of you experienced guys to work with him and help him along the way(hint). As a side note I was hired as a service technician right out of school.

Great input guys thanks. Now let me ask this me being the lead installer wanting to peruse service pretty badly is it fair for new employee to get to go to service before I even get a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Great input guys thanks. Now let me ask this me being the lead installer wanting to peruse service pretty badly is it fair for new employee to get to go to service before I even get a shot?

Personally if you've paid your dues you deserve a shot before bringing in a guy off the streets.

Back in 1996 i graduated from a 2 year service school and i had to pay my dues as an installer for a couple of years before anyone would take me seriously i do believe it depends on the individual some are ready after school and some are not in the case of online classes i would say there is no way he is ready to hop in a truck and run calls maybe the reason you didnt get the service job is because your employer values your installation skills so much he doesnt want to have to replace you truly good installers are hard to find i work with the best and it makes my job as a tech much easier i think the new guy wont be there long he will prove to be a liability

Never thought of it like that, so does that mean my chances to get on service depend more on if he can find a different installer? Not a lot of people want install for simple fact of what it pays compared to service.

As some of the early replies you got said it often depends on what will make the boss more money. If he thinks a sales tech will make him more money then thats who he will hire/promote. If you can find a company that values technical skills more, then that will be your best bet. Commercial I believe offers more opportunities for real techs, whereas residential is becoming more of just selling and upselling etc.

Does the boss know you want to transition into service?
    Local 449?

Yes he does I've mentioned to him several times he said when someone is able to take my spot I can switch I have a gopher now but I don't feel he will ever be anything but that, but the potential new employee would be a good fill, he's temp now with potential to be full time, and boss is leaning towards putting him on service if he stays.

I would let your boss know that you are unhappy with his choice to put green rookie into service ahead of you. Then quietly start looking for another job.
    Local 449?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast