+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pocket phsychrometer

Post Likes

Pocket phsychrometer

Thinking of ordering this http://www.trutechtools.com/PRH2 can anybody tell me if its dependable.

Post Likes
    It's a little slow on measurements but I've had mine since they came out and it's held up good. Good for a quick check. And the price is a lot better than it use to be.

Post Likes
    I'm on my 3rd one, replaced twice under warranty. Both times it died in my tool bag, no drops, decently protected when stored.
    It's ok for walk around readings, but the insertion depth is to short for it to be useful for in duct measurements through a test hole.

My advice is to either get a SRH3 or SDP2, or get a Testo 605-H2, and secure the battery door with tape.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm on my 3rd one, replaced twice under warranty. Both times it died in my tool bag, no drops, decently protected when stored.
    It's ok for walk around readings, but the insertion depth is to short for it to be useful for in duct measurements through a test hole.

My advice is to either get a SRH3 or SDP2, or get a Testo 605-H2, and secure the battery door with tape.
    Would the depth of the sensor make a noticable difference in wet bulb readings?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Would the depth of the sensor make a noticable difference in wet bulb readings?
    If you can't get far enough into the duct to get past the boundary layer of air, into the actual air stream, none of the readings you get mean much of anything.

Due to the stupidity we have here in Texas of ducts and air handling equipment installed in attics, especially furnaces with uninsulated blower compartments, I frequently run into situations where I can't really get good coil entering air readings with an instrument that has a 5" insertion, like the Testo 605-H2 Humidity sticks, so I'm ordering a Fieldpiece SDP2.

Post Likes
    Your probably right. The price is right and I like the idea ofkeeping it handy in my shirt pocket but, I might just hold off and get a quality psychrometer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Your probably right. The price is right and I like the idea ofkeeping it handy in my shirt pocket but, I might just hold off and get a quality psychrometer.
    Unless you have Jolly Green Giant size shirt pockets, it doesn't work as a "pocket tool," the inclusion of a pocket clip on it is comical.

You can't even keep it in your pants pocket really.
    Instead of making it so the aluminum protective cap screws onto the aluminum body, so it would be like one rigid tube, they made is so the cap threads onto the base of the plastic probe part, which is glued into the end of the aluminum tube that acts as the housing. If you put it in your pants pocket, and sat down, chances are the probe end would break right off, protective cap and all.

It's one of those tools that was a great idea, but poorly implemented for field use.
    Name:  prh2fail2.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  45.1 KB
    Name:  prh2fail1.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  33.7 KB
    Last edited by mark beiser; 03-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Post Likes
    Yea, it sounded good but I was weary about it. Thanks for all the info

Post Likes
    Now that I've savaged it over its physical shortcomings, I have to say that I like that it will do Dewpoint and wet bulb calculations. I'll never understand why Testo didn't make the 605 do both, instead of making 2 separate instruments.
    The sensor in it is also quite accurate, at least as good as any others I've used that were under the $500 range.

Post Likes
    Has any one tried the SDP2 yet? I have been thinking about getting 1 but thought I would see how they were working out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Has any one tried the SDP2 yet? I have been thinking about getting 1 but thought I would see how they were working out.
    I don't think anyone has them in stock yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I don't think anyone has them in stock yet.
    I see TTT has them on back order

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in