+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R22 Replacement

Post Likes

Frown R22 Replacement

What are all of you doing for a replacement for R22?

Post Likes
    In what way? If it is an R-22 system that needs charging I use R22. If the system needs replacing then I go to a 410 system, assuming HVAC.

Post Likes
    Lots of threads on this... do a search.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    ok, did not see any thing first troul around will look again. Boss is looking into replacing some outdate equipment around campus and ask me my imput, 410A was the only replacement I could think of right off hand. Was interrested if there was any new refrigerant that may be a long term replacement. Lot of the guys I work with do not like the high pressures of 410A.

Post Likes
    If the equipment is still good.... there are replacement (NOT drop in, NEVER mix R-22 with something else). Most require recover, N2 flush, new LL drier, replace schraders, then charge with new. Some play acceptably with MO, some need POE. Most operate similar to 22, yet at 85-95% capacity.

There are lots of threads on this recently, I think I have posted at around 5 or 6.

Personally... Install 410 equipment. Solves lots of problems and is a better value for the customer. Higher pressures are not a big deal... just follow proper safety procedures we should be doing on 22...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Yeah, they said the same thing when R22 came in and started replacing R12. I don't know what is available commercially but the new big refrigerant should be CO2.

Post Likes
    Was wondering why we don't use more ammonia systems? Seems like this would be more enviromentally freindly.

Post Likes
    until you get a breath of it.

Post Likes
    Not trying to be smart. But a r-22 unit shouldn't have anything else used in it. If a system needs r-22 on a regular basis, its probably time to replace it with a R-410a system.

Post Likes
    at least when you breathe ammonia you know to get out of the area. Breathing R22 isn't any better.

Post Likes
    407c is also used in many systems. The pressures are close to R-22. I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    .... I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.
    Thats a good one! did you get a good laugh out of it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    407c is also used in many systems. The pressures are close to R-22. I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.
    That 'story' has been going around for a while... I will believe it when the EPA approves a replacement and starts phasing 410 out. There will be LOTS of time to make the transition.

For now: 410 is the residential juice.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrnth3 View Post
    at least when you breathe ammonia you know to get out of the area. Breathing R22 isn't any better.
    The problem with an amonia system is that breathing anhydrous ammonia will in all likelyhood, ummm put you in the hospital or kill you. Nasty stuff if you aren't carefull with it. I wouldn't want an ammonia system in a residential situation.

,,,Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Dupont M099. You loose capacity. If the unit is undersized,dont use it. Us on exv,txv system. Replace any rubber o rings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Thats a good one! did you get a good laugh out of it?
    Don't laugh to hard, Europe is already transitioning to HFO refrigerants, as well as systems that use a transcritical CO2 cycle. There is even transcritical CO2 equipment in use in the US in some applications, and you should start seeing HFO refrigerant using refrigeration equipment in the US soon.

At the AHR expo, there was at least one Asian manufacturer showing a trans critical CO2 heat pump SPLIT SYSTEM!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Don't laugh to hard, Europe is already transitioning to HFO refrigerants, as well as systems that use a transcritical CO2 cycle. There is even transcritical CO2 equipment in use in the US in some applications, and you should start seeing HFO refrigerant using refrigeration equipment in the US soon.

At the AHR expo, there was at least one Asian manufacturer showing a trans critical CO2 heat pump SPLIT SYSTEM!
    Sure all that "trascritical HFO" is slowly coming this way but 410a is not going anywhere any time soon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Hey, that's great. Just something else for the EPA to regulate and tax. Have a leak? $50 fine, have to recharge, $500 fine, don't keep records of what you use, $50,000 fine. CO2 is a greenhouse gas now, isn't it? Congress aught to have a field day with it.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Misplaced the link... Seems a study was done: The world used to be a LOT HOTTER than it is now... with a LOT LESS CO2 than we have now.

As usual... the enviro wackies are wrong... So what else is new...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I remember techs saying the same thing when we went from R12 to R22 for A/Cs.

If your campus has more cash than they know what to do with, go with new 410A units.

Worry later about tree huggers getting 410A phased out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in