Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R22 Replacement

Frown R22 Replacement

What are all of you doing for a replacement for R22?

In what way? If it is an R-22 system that needs charging I use R22. If the system needs replacing then I go to a 410 system, assuming HVAC.

Lots of threads on this... do a search.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

ok, did not see any thing first troul around will look again. Boss is looking into replacing some outdate equipment around campus and ask me my imput, 410A was the only replacement I could think of right off hand. Was interrested if there was any new refrigerant that may be a long term replacement. Lot of the guys I work with do not like the high pressures of 410A.

If the equipment is still good.... there are replacement (NOT drop in, NEVER mix R-22 with something else). Most require recover, N2 flush, new LL drier, replace schraders, then charge with new. Some play acceptably with MO, some need POE. Most operate similar to 22, yet at 85-95% capacity.

There are lots of threads on this recently, I think I have posted at around 5 or 6.

Personally... Install 410 equipment. Solves lots of problems and is a better value for the customer. Higher pressures are not a big deal... just follow proper safety procedures we should be doing on 22...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Yeah, they said the same thing when R22 came in and started replacing R12. I don't know what is available commercially but the new big refrigerant should be CO2.

Was wondering why we don't use more ammonia systems? Seems like this would be more enviromentally freindly.

until you get a breath of it.

Not trying to be smart. But a r-22 unit shouldn't have anything else used in it. If a system needs r-22 on a regular basis, its probably time to replace it with a R-410a system.

at least when you breathe ammonia you know to get out of the area. Breathing R22 isn't any better.

407c is also used in many systems. The pressures are close to R-22. I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    .... I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.
    Thats a good one! did you get a good laugh out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    407c is also used in many systems. The pressures are close to R-22. I was told by a Supply House that 410a will start being phased out in the next 5 years due to its cause of the greenhouse effect.
    That 'story' has been going around for a while... I will believe it when the EPA approves a replacement and starts phasing 410 out. There will be LOTS of time to make the transition.

For now: 410 is the residential juice.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast