+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner/Apprentice tools.

Post Likes

Beginner/Apprentice tools.

I'm in the process now of finding my first HVAC job with my 1 year of school and EPA 608 certification. I was wondering what kind of tools should I be compiling to get started in this field, I would like to start collecting them as soon as possible so in a few years I'll have a broad array of them.

Post Likes
    Also which brands should I stick to for each type of tool, I'd prefer to spend more money on quality tools that last rather than something cheap that will wind up being replaced often.

Post Likes
    Whatever you get, make sure it's quality stuff. Buy american made when possible. I prefer to stay away from gimmicky new designs. Good tools are not cheap, cheap tools are not good. Fluke meters and thermometers, Channel-Lock (US) and Knipex (Germany) are good brands for pliers, Klein is the standard for electrical tools. All of my adjustable wrenches are Kleins, but other guys like Irega (Spain) and Bahco (US). The old-school original Craftsman sockets, wrenches, and ratchets have served me well for a long time. Ridgid makes the best pipe wrenches anywhere.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Whatever you get, make sure it's quality stuff. Buy american made when possible. I prefer to stay away from gimmicky new designs. Good tools are not cheap, cheap tools are not good. Fluke meters and thermometers, Channel-Lock (US) and Knipex (Germany) are good brands for pliers, Klein is the standard for electrical tools. All of my adjustable wrenches are Kleins, but other guys like Irega (Spain) and Bahco (US). The old-school original Craftsman sockets, wrenches, and ratchets have served me well for a long time. Ridgid makes the best pipe wrenches anywhere.
    X2 could not have said it better myself..

Also I used to buy a tool a week when starting out. If your have to borrow a tool from your journeyman more then once go buy it. Before you know it you'll have what you need to start doing some small jobs yourself.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    X2 could not have said it better myself..

Also I used to buy a tool a week when starting out. If your have to borrow a tool from your journeyman more then once go buy it. Before you know it you'll have what you need to start doing some small jobs yourself.
    This is great advice. Every apprentice I have ever worked with I have given this advice to. (including our mutual buddy) Stay within a budget. Sometimes just a small hand tool and sometimes something bigger. You will accumulate tools very quickly. As far as what to get and what brands I'd say get basic hand tools and a cordless drill. Search this site and you will find some very detailed lists. Good luck and remember, as Mr Pascone says "GOTTA HAVE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB!"
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    The experts on here will lead you well but in the end you have to get what fits your liking and needs. I work for a college and they will not let me use my own tools, therefore I have a large selection of tools and generally high quality. Working on different equipment every day requires a lot of different tools. good luck and all ways remember quality over quantity.

Post Likes
    I've been doing residential installs as an apprentice for roughly a year now and this is what I have in my bag of hand tools.
    Red & green snips
    Philips & flathead screwdrivers
    Nut drivers
    Malco hole cutter
    Speed square
    Flanging pliers
    Assortment of open/box wrenches
    Linesmen
    Channel locks
    Wire strippers
    Schrader/ thermostat scredriver
    Utility knife
    Insulation staple gun
    Claw hammer
    Sheet metal hammer
    Pry bar
    Multimeter
    Tubing cutters
    Head lamp
    Flashlight
    Strap gun
    Allen set
    Impact / drill combo
    That's the stuff I pull out of my trunk and put in the work truck every morning.
    My company provides a torch, vacuum pump, right angle drill, hole saws, nitrogen tanks, etc..

Buy the best quality you can because at the end of the day you get what you pay for, and also
    MARK EVERY TOOL YOU OWN!!! I learned the hard way that tools tend to grow legs!

Post Likes
    I recently got a new helper for installs who went to lowes and bought kobalt tools and a bag and he pretty got most every hand tool you could need for under 200 dollars. Now that being said they are not of great quality but as far as screwdrivers and random things like that that don't really need to be dependable they work fine. As far as duct tools malco and Midwest is my preference. I have craftsmen sockets and wrenches that hold up great. Invest in a good drill/driver set. I would recommend dewalt or Makita. if you need other things as the job requires, just post a thread asking opinions or what brand or type you should get. There are plenty of members here who are quick to help and share opinions. x2 on the klein tools. wire strippers, nut drivers, side cutters, cable cutters(for large wire) and crimpers are very nice and you will not be disappointed in the investment.

Post Likes
    I'm going to come at you from a different angle. When you first start out, it is best to just have the tools. You can buy the quality as you can afford it.If you can afford it now, all the better. Personaly, The only cheap tools I own are ones I found, but I undertand the need for some of the younger guys to budget their money. Stay away from battery operated Crafstman tools. Their batteries are garbage.
    My brand preference for hand tools are: Craftsman, Klein, Channel Lock and Crescent
    meters: Fluke
    battery and electric powertools: Milwaukee

A meter and a 6&1 can get you started
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I agree with 2sac craftsman klien channel lock and crescent hand tools but im a fieldpiece guy when it comes to meters and i will only buy yellow jacket guages and micron gauges and scales uei makes a good dual input manometer and i love my supco megaohmmer

Post Likes
    Start small and build your tool collection as you can afford it.

I started with a few Craftsman wrenches, a Craftsman socket set, some WalMart Screwdrivers that I was given for Christmas, a YJ41 manifold set and a Fluke 52.

My current tool inventory would stock TWO trucks better than my first truck was stocked with tools and probably start stocking a third.

A thing that I do to afford tools even today is to deposit a small amount of money each pay cycle into an account. This is my tool fund.

Post Likes
    On the first of every month I would go to Johnystone and get the circular ad. Most of my hand tools are from there. Trutech tools online have some good deals and you get them quicker sometimes that when you order from the supply houses.

Post Likes
    Another source for tools you don't need "right now" are flea markets. I've collected several Rigid pipe wrenches and other old name American made hand tools at bargain prices. Just need to know what they cost new and what they are worth to you before buying. I've seen some people overprice stuff, but I don't have to buy it if I don't want to. Good Luck in your career. John

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses guys! this has been alot of help, and I'm sure others that search the same question will be benefited by this as well.

Post Likes
    when I started school I had to get a bunch of tools before the school would let me begin. I went to home depot with a tool list from school and got everything needed, with exception of manifold and dmm from johnstone. then I discovered this site and have been lurking for a while, reading a lot about tools. I still have my original tool bag, keep it in my truck, but im about 90% done with a second set of tools. my second bag is all the cool tools ive discovered from reading tool threads here. I get comments daily about the tools classmates and even teachers don't know about, like hvac strap, valvecoretool.com tool, nylog, and even my veto.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnerjohn View Post
    Another source for tools you don't need "right now" are flea markets. I've collected several Rigid pipe wrenches and other old name American made hand tools at bargain prices. Just need to know what they cost new and what they are worth to you before buying. I've seen some people overprice stuff, but I don't have to buy it if I don't want to. Good Luck in your career. John
    Great idea. I picked up a pair of like new 24" aluminum Ridgid pipe wrenches for $20 each from a tool re-seller at a flea market. I've also gotten an air/acetylene torch, taps & dies, and all kinds of other goodies from flea markets over the years.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I started out back in May. Best tools to get are a 6in1 or set of screw drivers. nut drivers, both short and long, preferably magnetic. since we're getting into AC season, I'd recommend a leak detector. my company bought the TIF, and I'm thinking about adding an infrared to my arsenal as well. Guages are a must, one that does both 22 and 410. A decent meter. I had a craftsman pro, because thats what my budget alotted me, and when i bought it i was working at sears so i got a discount. i have some good wire strippers, side cutters, a paint brush for cleaning out dust and webs from condensers.

and soon enough i'll be getting torches, a vacuum pump, recovery machine, digital manifold, combustion analyzer. the joys of seeing all my cash disappear into my tools

Post Likes
    Northstarair, you said gauges that will do r22 & r410but I was taught never to use the same set of gauges with different refrigerant because you can contaminate the system. Is there a process to clean out the old freon or was I taught wrong? Just asking for my own knowledge.... I have only been in the field about a year and a half now and am just trying to learn everything I can.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustytool View Post
    Northstarair, you said gauges that will do r22 & r410but I was taught never to use the same set of gauges with different refrigerant because you can contaminate the system. Is there a process to clean out the old freon or was I taught wrong? Just asking for my own knowledge.... I have only been in the field about a year and a half now and am just trying to learn everything I can.

This is a heap of mud.

It is an old tale that has resulted from some of the massive amount of MISinformation that is out there.

I have 2 manifolds in the truck and both of them have seen mineral, alkylbenzene and POE oil, at least one has also seen PVE and PAG oil.

The list of refrigerants is quite long. R-12, 134a, 22, 401a, 401b, 402a, 404a, 407a, 407c, 410a, 502, and 507 are just the ones that I can remember.

Normal practices of purging gauges on connection will prevent contamination.

Post Likes
    I've always been told if you purge the lines, you're good to go, and thats how I. Hook em up, purge em. But yes, it would be ideal to have a different set for each. Everyone in my company does that with analog, but they use 1 set of digitals for everything

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in