Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 43
  1. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dry as a bone Tucson
    Posts
    4,194
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Seems like the simple solution to me.
    Is there any 2 stage equipment out there? I don't consider a 20% shed a true 2 stage do you? To me a true 2 stage would be a 50/100 % not 80/100.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook


  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,712
    Trane 20i.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    north georiga
    Posts
    560
    i wonder why none of the american manufactures have started using the inverter technology in the central a/c equipment. it can't run the cost that much more

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,712
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    i wonder why none of the american manufactures have started using the inverter technology in the central a/c equipment. it can't run the cost that much more
    Check out Nordyne IQ units, and carrier greenspeed.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    i wonder why none of the american manufactures have started using the inverter technology in the central a/c equipment. it can't run the cost that much more
    Electric rates in the US are very low compared to other parts of the world, and our area has low electric rates compared to the rest of the country. Payback time is too long for Inverter drive equipment. It's difficult to get people to go above the minimum 13 SEER, 2 speed AC units are almost like a unicorn around here. 75% of all electric homes in our area use 10KW to 20KW air handlers as the primary form of heat. Electric rates are between 5 and 46 cents per KWH depending on time of year/day and pricing plan.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dry as a bone Tucson
    Posts
    4,194
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Trane 20i.
    And American Standard, my mind was stuck in package unit mode................
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook


  7. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    north georiga
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Check out Nordyne IQ units, and carrier greenspeed.
    i knew about the nordyne unit (i've never liked nordyne equipment), the greenspeed i didn't know about.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tidewater Virginia
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettservices View Post
    Update: the homeowner listened to reason once I got them away from their "expert" contractor. Part of my persuasion was to offer them a personal company guarantee that the system would cool to acceptable expectations or i would change it at no charge to them for up to ten years. Gotta stand behind your recommendations no matter what. That convinced them immediately once I was willing to stand behind it for so long even with the generals so called expertise advising against my so called undersizing.
    Good move Bubba - Covers all the bases

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tidewater Virginia
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Electric rates in the US are very low compared to other parts of the world, and our area has low electric rates compared to the rest of the country. Payback time is too long for Inverter drive equipment. It's difficult to get people to go above the minimum 13 SEER, 2 speed AC units are almost like a unicorn around here. 75% of all electric homes in our area use 10KW to 20KW air handlers as the primary form of heat. Electric rates are between 5 and 46 cents per KWH depending on time of year/day and pricing plan.
    I wonder if the Cali proposal to ban the bypass damper will bring on the use of true VAV in small capacity residential and light commercial systems? I've got a zoned system which has cost the facility a fortune to keep in operation and beats the HP systems it's attached with to death.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tidewater Virginia
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Is there any 2 stage equipment out there? I don't consider a 20% shed a true 2 stage do you? To me a true 2 stage would be a 50/100 % not 80/100.
    Most of the two stage furnaces arn't 50/50... I've got no problem with an 80/20 being two stage as long as my design specs are the same as the units'...

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfromobx View Post
    I wonder if the Cali proposal to ban the bypass damper will bring on the use of true VAV in small capacity residential and light commercial systems? I've got a zoned system which has cost the facility a fortune to keep in operation and beats the HP systems it's attached with to death.
    Minisplits and/or residential water chillers will be the way of the residential zoning future, one variable capacity condenser serving several "heads". It costs more upfront but the energy savings are considerable.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    4,802
    Modulating gas trains
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sacramento,ca
    Posts
    196
    The biggest local company already installs resi water chillers called aquachill. They are very efficient but upfront cost, maintenance and subpar warranty makes them unattractive to most buyers. They did a whole housing tract with them fifteen years ago and all of them were replaced within 10 years and the customers hated them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event