ECOBEE thermostat

The company I work for has made a decision to always include a Ecobee thermostat on all jobs.

What do you think, give me your opinions. All welcome.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

They are very nice thermostats. That decision is going to bump the cost of your jobs up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    The company I work for has made a decision to always include a Ecobee thermostat on all jobs.

What do you think, give me your opinions. All welcome.
    Thats what I said. The company is giving the thermostat to the customer for way under our costs hoping we always have this customer locked in.

It's an idea i guess. I would offer it but i wouldn't make it mandatory. The stat will be too much for many people who still just want their old t87 or something equally simple. That isn't just old people by the way.

Keep the comments coming!

Perhaps you could do what some commercial manufacturers do: make it a "deletable option", that makes it a standard item that can be deleted if the customer wants to save money or simply prefers something else. People like choices, especially if it means either getting something "free", or getting something they want more, for less.

There is also the smart SI which is cheaper and not touchscreen.

I installed one in my ex g/f's house. It's a nice T-stat but, I agree with ADillion that it will be too much for some customer's.
    -Marty

Have you asked your boss about it? I'm guessing he wouldn't choose to lose money up front if he didn't have a plan to make it up.

Here is how i would explain it: With the remote diagnostics and alerts ecobee offers, your company can build a customer/equipment profile, trouble shoot a thermostat from the office and be the first to know when equipment breaks. With the flexibility of staging, overcooling, min cycles etc...you can fine tune how a piece of equipment runs to offer the best performance and comfort. Your company can review performance data to sell new equipment. Example- customer calls and says house is damp in summer. You could look at the ecobee portal and see cooling calls are very short and the humidity never really decreases. If equipment is mechanically sound then explain (with proof sources of indoor humidity, outdoor humidity, cooling call duration etc...) why this is happening and what you can do to fix it. Result: Your company sells a new dehumidifier system or a properly sized condenser $$$$.

Information and customer relations is key in our industry. Ecobee allows you a lot of capabilities with customer support, sales promotions and in the long run it is going to differentiate your equipment offering. I hear you where price is an issue but if its built into the cost of a job you will be installing more of them which increases efficiency of install and you can buy them from suppliers at best price.

If all that doesn't explain it, customers walk around with a $300 i phone in their pocket and spend hundreds of dollars and worthless gadgets at Best Buy. Your boss might be taking the tact of people don't know what is good for them so at least this gadget saves them money and improves my business.