Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    Dan, every bedroom has their own return using the wall cavity and then floor joist below to run to the furnace. One of the contractors did say that he would like to come back and pull down the return pans to make sure that they are open inside and not anything obstructing the flow that we can't see.

The house has 0.64 ACH by the way which I am taking care of with spray foaming the rim joist.

BTW, I have measured each bedroom with a manometer to compare its pressure to the hallway and each room is equal in pressure to the hallway with the doors shut.
    Post above [ #26 ] does not seem consistent with 1st sentence in post #22.

If the room temperature is better with the doors open the return is not optimum.

Some of your other observations hint at less than desired Supply Air.

Can your manometer measure 0.01".?
    IF Not, you may not really know whether the areas are actually close to the same pressure.

Velocity pressure = 0.01" is created by 400 F.P.M. = (400/4005)^2

It's sounding like the Supply Air delivery is a problem.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Yes, the room temps get closer to the tstat temp when they are left open. The two outer bedrooms are still usually just a degree off from what the tstat reads when the doors are fully open but thats better than 5 degrees (during heating).

Mine is one of the liquid filled models, I'm not sure if it can go down that far but will look at it tomorrow.

My last contractor did a room by room manual J and D and from looking at it I have enough duct supply to all the bedrooms. I'm hopefully going to talk to him tomorrow and have him go over it with me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123