Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As far as zoning goes I agree that it probley not needed for your size home. While I did state that I didn't realize the size of your home.

As for taking down the registers to see if that helped in the trouble rooms, I don't really understand what the thought process was for that company to recommend that. Although I might be missing something.

Since your ductwork can be accessed and you have showed them the problem rooms their should be no reason why they can't correct the issues with the temp in these rooms other then just not known what needs to be done.

I wish you the best of luck as I know this can be frustrating thing. Companies saying diffrent things in regards to sizing of equipment, ductwork etc... Again just make sure to get a detailed estimate outlining what all they will do and manual j and d cals. For peace of mind.

since comfort has always been an issue, and is not a new thing,
    I'd want to be sure that the ducts are delivering cfm of air required to
    each room (this is based on size of room/orientation/windows etc..part of
    a room by room load calc..not whole house quick calc).

I'd look for someone to measure air flow & verify what is actually
    being delivered. easiest way I know of to measure air flow to each
    room is with a flow hood.

replacing system without addressing air flow issues isn't going
    to solve the comfort issue.

also, making sure ducts & returns are mastic sealed would be
    a part of any job.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I got one of the quotes back today and would like to know what you guys think of this system? I am going to talk to him about doing a full load calc and duct measuring but for now I would like your opinion on this system.

Bryant 986TA48080, 223ANA030, CNPV*3017A** with a Honeywell VisionIAQ and new media cabinet.

That is a Preferred model HP, is the Evolution series that much better to warrent going to it? I don't know the cost on one from this contractor I just didn't see much difference in them from Bryants web site.

Should I start a new thread for these questions?

easier if you keep one thread.
    starting new threads instead of keeping everything contained in one thread
    can be confusing to the rest of us.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Ok, I can understand that.

Is that tier of HP's decent compared to the Evolution tier? Were not looking for the highest SEER/HSPF rating just one that gets us in the 14/15SEER rating for the AC season. The current one we have was a 10SEER when it was brand new in 1995 so anything is going to be an improvement.

I did not see any discussions about what the temp difference is when the bedroom doors are open.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Beside creating a significant Air Imbalance,

What happens when the bedroom doors are closed?
    The infiltration rate Increases.

How much?
    Impact _ _ _ ?

ATTACHMENT / OUTSIDE AIR 28'F
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    I got one of the quotes back today and would like to know what you guys think of this system? I am going to talk to him about doing a full load calc and duct measuring but for now I would like your opinion on this system.

Bryant 986TA48080, 223ANA030, CNPV*3017A** with a Honeywell VisionIAQ and new media cabinet.

That is a Preferred model HP, is the Evolution series that much better to warrent going to it? I don't know the cost on one from this contractor I just didn't see much difference in them from Bryants web site.

Should I start a new thread for these questions?
    As energy Rater said: you need to look at the ducts/ airflow! What you have posted is the "BOX" and is NOT A SYSTEM until you connect the ducts!

You have a 1500 SF Rancher with a full basement, are you just sealing the permiter joist space? and if so I hope there will be enough air for your gas appliances and equipment. Designer Dan's example is an outstanding help to quantify the situation.

Bottom line ids YOU NEED THE DUCT SYTEM TO CURE THOSE TEMP DIFF PROBLEMS
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

If the doors are left wide open the rooms even out to what the T-stat reads which is in the middle of the hallway by the middle bedroom.

I tried letting the blower run on "on" since yesterday morning with the two exterior doors closed. With the T-stat on 71 hold my sons room got to 69 and our room 66 this morning. The current outside air temp is 35F.

Dan, I see your attachment but I'm not sure what to make with it. Can you explain it to me?

I plain on Spray foaming at the very least the rim joist and insulation the rest of the wall either with rigid foam or spray foam. I'm still waiting on quotes but the whole wall (floor to ceiling) will be insulated.

I only have a H2O heater that would need the air and since my garage wall can't be insulated due to how close the water and furnace are I'm sure the room won't be that tight to stop the air for that.

I know something with the ducts have to be done since these 3 rooms are smaller than the rest of the house that has no problem with keeping the T-stat temp.

Dan or anyone else can you explain the PDF from his post above??

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    Dan or anyone else can you explain the PDF from his post above??
    Depending on the Air Change per Hour ( ACH of 0.65 or 1.3), THE HEAT LOSS would be 19,940 or 26,500 BTU/Hr at 28'F outside
    for a 1,500 Square foot residence with the noted R-values.

I believe that the overall air infiltration from a "loose" building envelope could increase from 139 to 278 CFM with the bedroom doors closed
    due to leakage out of the bedrooms based on its increased pressure.

Dt = 44' = 72'F inside - 28'F outside.

In other words, there is a 'penalty' both of air imbalance and some increased air infiltration due to no returns in the bedrooms.
    That's Why many (most?) state building codes for new residences now (starting in about 2003 - 2005) mandate all rooms with doors
    (bedrooms, den or library; not bathrooms) shall have return air ducts.
    Designer Dan

Last edited by dan sw fl; 03-20-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    Designer Dan

Dan, every bedroom has their own return using the wall cavity and then floor joist below to run to the furnace. One of the contractors did say that he would like to come back and pull down the return pans to make sure that they are open inside and not anything obstructing the flow that we can't see.

The house has 0.64 ACH by the way which I am taking care of with spray foaming the rim joist.

BTW, I have measured each bedroom with a manometer to compare its pressure to the hallway and each room is equal in pressure to the hallway with the doors shut.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast