ArcoAire vs. Carrier

ArcoAire vs. Carrier

I need a new HVAC unit. I'm looking at a 15 Seer ArcoAire. How does that compare with Carrier HVAC units?

I replaced a carrier a/c with an arcoaire heat pump in our home last fall. I am happy with its performance. Side by side the arcoaire looks like a carrier. At least the model that I bought. I have heard that it is made by carrier. And having worked on carrier equipment I don't see or notice much difference in the makeup or the performance.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Hope this helps.
    Amazing Grace, it is amazing!

ArcoAire vs. Carrier

ewwilt...thank you so, so much for your post. Each salesperson I've talked with says their brand--whether Rheem, Carrier or any other--is rated number one. I'm just trying to do my own research so I can get what's right for me. ArcoAire is a good value, but I'd never heard of it prior to today. From what I've read, though, it seems to be a good product.

So I appreciate your weighing in. Thanks so much. And, yes...grace is absolutely amazing!

carrier hands down. not familiar w/ arcoaire but carrier is the mercedes benz of resi units.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Made side by side, no worries.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    carrier hands down. not familiar w/ arcoaire but carrier is the mercedes benz of resi units.
    Says a Carrier dealer... Its all about the installation and sizing, so don't get caught up in the brand. Both are good brands. Arcoaire is made by the same company as Heil, the parts are standard so no outrageous repair costs. But no matter what, if it isnt the right size and it isnt installed right, it wont matter what brand you get.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

The builder models are virtually identical. The deluxe units have some differences. I think the fancy Arcos might have some bells & whistles Carrier doesn't. Also have a 5 year or longer replacement warranty Carrier doesn't either.

Not familiar with Arco but knows Carrier is better hands down? Copeland makes better scrolls for them? Emerson & Genteq maker better motors? The workers on the Carrier side of the factory are better than the ICP side?

it's brand perception and preference. is ford better than chevy? not always, on some model they are better than one another. I've worked on arcoaire. parts are cheaper and easier to get. carrier you pay premium and parts placement is a nightmare. is high end hyundai comparable to mid range mercedes benz? even though they may be priced the same?

as we all know, at the end is depend on end user and installer. you could have a horribly performing carrier and way much better performing ICP. I would put what ever give me the most bang for my money. they're furnaces for crying outloud, not a vehicle.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Y'all are sooooo misleading this HO....

The very same parts used in Carrier are also used in Arcoaire. No difference. No difference at all.
    WHY?

As I said mine looks like a carrier side by side. Ultimately it makes a difference on the quality of installation. Yes the arco is priced cheaper, but if you go with the cheapest labor and/or installation practices, then you may not save anything in the long run. I did a lot of research when I picked mine out and was able to pick one of the best out of the 13 seer units. It is rated for an 8.3 HSPF which is better than some of the higher seer units. So, do your research and if pricing isn't the main consideration, don't shortcut or go the cheapest on labor/installation.

One exception, I went with cheap labor, I installed it myself. So the cheap labor part only stand if the labor is qualified or not!

Good Luck
    Amazing Grace, it is amazing!

ArcoAire vs. Carrier

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate every single one of them. It's nice to get some professional advice from technical people and not sales people.

I haven't decided yet, though I'm leaning toward the ArcoAire. I know the quality of work of the Arco technician who'll be installing it, and the price is so much better than the others from whom I received quotes...Rheem and Carrier.

I moved to this house three years ago, and I've already replaced the water heaters with a tankless, and now my HVACs--all original to the house, 1986--are understandably failing. So I need to find the best at the most affordable price...since I'll have several to replace.

Y'all aren't the first who've told me the installer makes all the difference in the world. Sometimes, though, we homeowners are at the mercy of whomever the company sends. I'm a widow, and you'd be surprised how many people are just itching to take advantage.

That's why I like to do my homework and have as much information as I possibly can so I sound knowledgeable when I talk with these guys.

My thanks to all of you for helping me. Keep sending your thoughts. I have a couple of days before I have to decide.

...and Happy Father's Day to those of you with children.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-20-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: non AOP member

kman11

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.