+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Cool Cwiz Finally Dead?

Post Likes

Is Cool Cwiz Finally Dead?

Although we lost the site navtab to Cool Cwiz after the last major upgrade to vBulletin 4, there are a handful of die-hard Cool Cwiz addicts who have continued playing it daily using a direct link:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/quizrandom/coolcwizintro2.php

After this morning's Penton server downtime, I found the game's intro page comes up, but it no longer functions. It's apparently lost the database...or whatever. It recognizes my username but has nothing in the leader board or last week's leaders.

Any chance of resuscitation or has the plug been pulled?

Post Likes
    It used to be the first place I went, until it got too complicated for me to find. Sometimes I'm just an old grouch who hates change....

Post Likes
    RIP Cruel-Quiz
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    There may still be hope...

This is what I got from IT this morning.

Our data center in Dallas suffered a power outage while maintenance work was being done on the electrical systems.

As you’ve no doubt noticed the sites are back online. Our secondary database server is currently still offline, this will not affect access to the sites for the time being but once I have repaired that server there will need to be some downtime at some point to get the databases replicated from the primary database server to the secondary.

What this means is... the site is not at full power Capt'n. I'll have warp speed online soon. Once the secondary server is back we will be shut down again for a little while for duplication maintenance.

Not sure if this will help the CW but who knows. It's been hanging on by a thread for a while now.

Stay tuned.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Cool Cwiz is working now!

It takes forever to load, slower than molasses in January, but it does work.

Post Likes
    Thanks! Maybe we could get an easier link to find it with ...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Thanks! Maybe we could get an easier link to find it with ...
    Yes, since we lost the navigation bar link it's been a PITA, but we'll get one back eventually. It's just that CC is rather low on the priority list right now, but I'll continue lobbying for it.

In the meantime, do what I did and create a desktop shortcut for Cool Cwiz. I click on that, play the game and then use the Go To HVAC-Talk button in the upper RH corner.

Hopefully, when we get the link fixed, we'll get the original Cool Cwiz logo and other images back up there too. I've saved most of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

In the meantime, do what I did and create a desktop shortcut for Cool Cwiz. I click on that, play the game and then use the Go To HVAC-Talk button in the upper RH corner.
    Hey, thanks Icemeister! I'm not very computer literate, so after staring at your suggestion for a minute or two, the light bulb finally lit up and I realized what you were saying. That's a neat trick. In fact I just arrived here after setting it up and then following it, to test it out. Just my luck, I finally play Cool Cwiz again and I do miserably! Oh well, I still have that printout where I finished the week on the leaderboard once! Man, that's just sad.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in