Thread: Kramer

Kramer

Does anybody have any experience with the Kramer Thermobank systems for low temp walk ins. Have questions.

what are your questions.

I have worked on several over the years and have some paperwork on them still.

Problem

Cannot get head pressure up after repairing small leak. Unit running -42 box temp at the time. Discharge coming directly out of compressor is only warm. Head pressure 200ibs. This unit is 404. Suction pressure at suction filter 5 and suction line temp at this point is -37. Sight glass 3/4 full but im afraid to keep adding sice head pressure not coming up.

i need more specifics. ambient, condensing unit location and fan staging. HP of unit.
    Superheat of coil.

I feel you still need refrigerant. Also make sure that the thermo bank tank is full of either water or glycol/water mix depending on the age of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by juneair View Post
    i need more specifics. ambient, condensing unit location and fan staging. HP of unit.
    Superheat of coil.

I feel you still need refrigerant. Also make sure that the thermo bank tank is full of either water or glycol/water mix depending on the age of the machine.
    The thermobank is full. Ambient temp approx 30 degrees. 3 condeser fans and all cycled off. Condenser outside on roof. Did not check superheat at coil but i do suspect liquid sluggind due to low compressor discharge temp. Also does the suction line temps indicate liquid preset at the suction filter from the readings i gave u.

I tend to feel you are short of gas. THe back pressure is low, so you dont have any bleeding through the defrost valve and the compressor is pumping properly.

You said it was a small leak, How much did you add and what do you think the charge should be.

I find 404A sneaks up on you when you charge. Is there aheadmaster as well or just fan cycling.

Short on Gas

Based on what I've read I also think you are short on gas. If you have a headmaster, you have lost a lot more gas than you think. The nasty thing simply didn't show up until it got cold out The headmaster was probably trying to stack liquid and stole your load. Now you have to ad enough to not only get the system back up, but you also have to flood the condenser. I like to charge up to a 40% - 50% reciever. If you dont have a level indicator you can use a torch and your finger.

Had one that was oil in evap.

This cause it to act like it had a resticted in line but was evap. was fill with oil. cause pressur proplem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    This cause it to act like it had a resticted in line but was evap. was fill with oil. cause pressur proplem.
    ya mean cause the oil dont return when there is low suction due to low refrigerant charge?!

got ya

Yup- sounds like low charge and/or headmaster failure, if it's there. Don't be distracted by the thermobank-that's just a load to keep the hot gas volume up for defrost.

yeah just reading what you got there it looks like you need to add more gas... good luck with it