Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brazoria, Texas proposes a ban on the 'N word'

Brazoria, Texas proposes a ban on the 'N word'

January 22, 2007

By Rucks Russell / 11 News

The city of Brazoria is proposing an ordinance outlawing the “N word,” but not everyone in town is on board with idea.

Mayor Ken Corley hopes the usage of the notorious racial slur will soon be a thing of the past in his city of 2,800, a relic as distant as the old Jim Crow laws that once ruled the day here.

“Obviously, I’m not black, but if I was and the word was used at me, it would offend me seriously,” Corley said.

Under his proposed ordinance, a person would be committing an offense if he or she intentionally uses the N word in an “abusive, indecent, hurtful, degrading or insulting way” in public. Violators could face fines of up to $500.

Brazoria Mayor Ken Corley

And if the ordinance passes, it won’t be the first time Brazoria has been a leader in passing high-profile restrictions – they were the first city in Texas to pass a law prohibiting sex offenders from living near children.

The mayor’s plan has already won the backing of some on the city council, as well as a group of prominent local black ministers.

“I applaud him for having the courage to bring this to the forefront,” ******* said.

Opinions on the ordinance differ with many in the population, but the mayor insists that the ordinance will make his city a better place to live.

“This is no doubt a quality of life issue,” he said.

A quality that could cost some people a lot to maintain.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

I just finished reading a book by Pat Buchanan called State of Emergency.Here's a quote from the book:

[Page 165]

In an essay published after his death, Francis wrote of the restrictions imposed upon any discussion of race in America:

In the Victorian era, the Great Taboo was sex. Today...the Great Taboo is race. The Victorians virtually denied that sex existed. Today, race is said to be "merely a social construct," a product of the imagination, and of none too healthy imagination at that, rather than a reality of nature. The Victorians severely punished people who talked about sex, made jokes about sex, or wrote too openly and frankly about sex. Today, journalists, disc jockeys, leading sports figures, public officials, distinguished academics, and major political leaders who violate the racial taboos of our age are fired from their newspapers, networks, or radio stations, forced to resign their positions, condemned by their own colleagues, and subjected to "investigations" of their "backgrounds" and their "links" to other individuals and groups that have also violated the race taboo.

[Page 186]

For Americans to believe that, unlike the rest of the world, we are immune to, exempt from, or unaffected by the powerful undercurrents of race, ethnicity, and culture that are pulling nations apart may prove a fatal delusion. Time to recall the insight of James Baldwin: "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it its faced."
    So, if Buchanan is to be believed, (and I certainly think he is) then the city of Brazoria is moving in the wrong direction. Instead of a paranoia over the use of the word "nigger", people ought to be free to use it as much as they want. I've heard black people and black kids called each other nigger more times than I can count. They don't think anything of it. And I'll tell you something else. I've called some black guys that (when I was mad at them) and they laughed at me. They were NOT offended by it. Of course there are some people (both black and white) who are truly prejudiced.

We ought to begin to admit that our concept of "equality" for the past 50 years has been flawed. Blacks and whites don't do all things "equally" well. AND most black guys I've met are good guys, but there are some stupid @ss street punk niggers too, and we ought to be free to say that without it costing us our jobs or being banned from a internet bulletin board.

There's another passage from this book that talks about it. Let me see if I can find it.

Alright, from State of Emergency by Pat Buchanan pages 89 to 91. Also, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I like black people very much and they are some very sweet people that go to my church. But blacks and whites need to be free to relate to each other in more realistic terms than this false sense of "equality" that is being heaped on us political do-gooders--i.g. liberal democrats.

As Catholic schoolchildren of the 1940's were instructed in the evils and temptations of impurity, American children since the 1960s have been indoctrinatted in the evil of racism and moral imperatvie to avoid thoughts, words, or deeds that might be so construed. In public life, the charge of "racism" has become modernity's equivalent of the charge of heresy in the Inquisition. The punishment for the latter was death for the unrepentant. Modernity's punishment for remarks deedmed as racist, and unrepented, is political ruin and pariah status.

"Jimmy the Greek" (Snyder), the CBS commentator who mused after a bibulous lunch about the reasons for the superior performance of black athletes, saw his career obliterated in an afternoon. Earl Butz, secretary of agriculture, was forced to resign when it was reported that he had retold a crude racial joke in private. Charles Murrary, coauthor of The Bell Curve, who argued that intelligence is in part inherited, that it may be measured by IQ tests, that it correlates with success and failure in school and life, that it is unevenly distributed among racial and ethnic groups, paid a career price for saying in public what few of his colleagues would deny in private.

The new orthodoxy teaches as dogma that race does not matter, that to treat people of different creeds, colors, or cultures differently is immoral in principle and intolerable in practice. The crisis of the new orthodoxy is that it is rooted in an ideaology few truly believe. For creed, culture, and ethnicity do matter, immensely. They are not everything, but they are not nothing. They are the forces tearing down empires and tearing apart nations. When we act as if they do not exist, we court disaster, as we did when we marched to Baghdad certain our democratic ideals would be embraced once the tyrant was gone, only to discover that divisions among Kurds, Shia, and Sunni over ethnicity, culture, history, and creed vanquished all our hopes.

"Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide," wrote the geostrategist James Burnham. In Suicide of the West.....

[Continuing on page 91]

Afflicted with guilt over her racial sins, America did the right thing in the 1950s and 1960s: struck down laws that mandated segregation and legislated equality of legal rights. But a guilt-stricken generation went far beyond mandating equal justice uner law.

In the name of justice, it established injustice. Quotas instituted to keep Jews out of the Ivy League were reintroduced to assure minorities a predetermined number of seats. When desegregation failed to achieve a level of integration that satisfied judges, children were bused across cities for purposes of racial balance. Property rights and freedom of association were scarificed to make society conform to the commands of the new moral order. But it was the transference of this idea--that America has sinned unpardonably against equality and must make amends, no matter the cost--to immigration law that may spell the end of the United States.
    Last edited by exreo; 01-22-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. -- Psalm 14:1

Bill you think they will ban other words like Honky or Spic or Kike after all fair is fair.

Thumbs down

What is the proposed penalty for violating the ordinance? I don’t believe that anybody except “in the hood” Blacks use the “N” word as a part of their normal conversation. What’s the point other than a publicity stunt? Will this apply to books, newspapers, etc.? That would be something to enforce. Sounds like a politically correct town to me.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    What is the proposed penalty for violating the ordinance? I don’t believe that anybody except “in the hood” Blacks use the “N” word as a part of their normal conversation. What’s the point other than a publicity stunt? Will this apply to books, newspapers, etc.? That would be something to enforce. Sounds like a politically correct town to me.

Glenn;
    Change your font size. Really. It's hard to read.
    If you say you won't do it, you will be fined for violating the ordinance

What's with all this garbage? If the N word goes, I can give a list of others that most also go, in UNISON, with it.

Notice how the ban describes the manner in which the word is used.... in hateful or abusive ways...it says nothing about a spook calling another black person a nigger....

Its ok for "them" to use it...cause its "their" word....

This is just an attention grabbing stunt by an "N word" loving white apologist....

Id say kike would get you in trouble too.... of course redneck, white trash etc... cracker...honkey...they all just get laughs...usually by N word loving whites who dont have the god given sense to realize they are being made fun of by black comedians and black television and movie actors....yet they continue to put money in these people pockets....

rag head... towel head...they will probably get you a visit by the popo or even worse....... a lawyer..... if you utter them to the wrong person....

I never use the N word anyway I like words like Porch Monkey or Moon Cricket better.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Aww, where is Preston when we need his input the most?!

And BTW, the kids call each other "nigga" or Niggah" not Nigger. Get your hood ebonics straight.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpro View Post
    I never use the N word anyway I like words like Porch Monkey or Moon Cricket better.

Moon Cricket?!?!?

Bwahahaha... i have never heard that one before...

I have seen many a White porch monkey... That name is not "race specefic"...

FORREST: Hi, Earl! What’s goin’ on?
    EARL: Coons are tryin’ to get into school.
    FORREST: Coons!? Well, raccoons try to get on our back porch, Momma just chase ’em off with a broom.
    EARL: Not raccoons, you idiot, niggers. And, they want to go to school with us.

My son had an altercation with a black kid when he was in middle school.
    The black kid kept calling him a white mf'er and my son called the boy a nigge-.
    They hauled his butt into the office where the black principal, thinking she had herself a white pidgeon to pluck, asked my son where he learned the word.
    My son promptly answered her, "From the black kids". "They always call each other that". Silence and then...the principals response?
    "Well, it's different when blacks use that term and direct it at another black".
    What sort of example is that? Bad language is OK, because it's not technically racial?
    White m'fer boy was not even questioned about his racial language.

What a crock.

Quote Originally Posted by chillbilly View Post
    My son had an altercation with a black kid when he was in middle school.
    The black kid kept calling him a white mf'er and my son called the boy a nigge-.
    They hauled his butt into the office where the black principal, thinking she had herself a white pidgeon to pluck, asked my son where he learned the word.
    My son promptly answered her, "From the black kids". "They always call each other that". Silence and then...the principals response?
    "Well, it's different when blacks use that term and direct it at another black".
    What sort of example is that? Bad language is OK, because it's not technically racial?
    White m'fer boy was not even questioned about his racial language.

What a crock.
    That story has inspired me to call all my white freinds "cracker", or "honkey" when I talk to them.

But back to the story, thats you normal case of "double standards" at work.

Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    That story has inspired me to call all my white freinds "cracker", or "honkey" when I talk to them.

But back to the story, thats you normal case of "double standards" at work.

Well, it's a true story and I got to sit in on the subsequent conference with everyone involved, parents, teachers and admin.
    I felt alot of racial tension in that room and it wasn't emanating from the whites who were present.

I'm so fed up with white people trying to be a part of the black experience and culture and submitting to all these double standards.
    They can be as proud as they want about their roots and so can I.

It's all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast